carbontex washer under the gear

Started by Noviceman, November 13, 2017, 02:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noviceman

Probably been addressed but wondering if you always recommend greasing the carbontex washer that replaces the plastic washer that goes under the gear??
Doing a 160 and a 65 at present..  Thanks

Jim

Bryan Young

Quote from: Noviceman on November 13, 2017, 02:46:53 PM
Probably been addressed but wondering if you always recommend greasing the carbontex washer that replaces the plastic washer that goes under the gear??
Doing a 160 and a 65 at present..  Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

All carbontex drag washers should be greased with drag grease.

Bryan.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Noviceman

Thanks Bryan....Figured that but still learning...Appreciate your help always...

Tiddlerbasher

Or replace it with a delrin washer of the same size. Another delrin washer on top of the stack will make things smoooother ;)

Noviceman

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 13, 2017, 02:48:43 PM
Hi Jim,

All carbontex drag washers should be greased with drag grease.

Bryan.

ALMOST all woven carbon drag washers should be greased.  The only exceptions for me are reels used in extreme cold and only in freshwater.  Salt in the weave destroys drag stacks.

Quote from: Noviceman on November 13, 2017, 03:03:27 PM
Dont know what a Delrin washer is???

Delrin is a high temperature plastic.  Using a Delrin under washer reduces the max drag slightly but increases the smoothness of the drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Noviceman

thanks Keta....learning more every day....Appreciate all the help...Going to start on my spinning reels next...

Tiddlerbasher

The under gear washer should be considered more of a bearing surface than a drag washer - imho and others ask Sal. Delrin is an engineering acetal plastic with good bearing and wear properties. It really does help to help to smooth things out - give it a try, I'm hooked ;)

Smols

Where do you guys order your delrin washers from in the various sizes for your needs?

handi2

Most of us are punching out the washers from Delrin sheet material purchased from McAllister Carr online hardware.

I'm sure someone has some for that reel.

I can mail you one. Just PM me your address.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Lunker Larry

In Tekotas and curados, I find Shimano's material (Dartanium?) gets pretty squashed. I wonder if a delrin would be better.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

I have them in Tekota's and Toriums and they haven't had a problem.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Keta

Quote from: Lunker Larry on November 15, 2017, 05:00:18 PM
In Tekotas and curados, I find Shimano's material (Dartanium?) gets pretty squashed. I wonder if a delrin would be better.

Change out the Dartanium and replace it with Dartanium II or preferably with Carbontex and put either a CF or Delrin under washer in your reel.  I do it with Tekotas, Trinidads and Toriums all of the time. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Lunker Larry

You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?