Is an Ugly Stick Tiger spinning rod in good condition worth $35?

Started by thorhammer, November 13, 2017, 10:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Well, I'd buy a bunch if they were $20. That said, that means I got its rider for $15.....VGC 705Z!

ReelFishingProblems

Looks like someone got you for a few dollars.
Always sad to hear about Ohana getting taken advantage of.

Midway Tommy

I'd say you stole the reel @ $35.00 and got the U Stick for free to boot! Do you have a guilty conscience?  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Maxed Out

Ok John, enough is enough......I'm more interested in where you'll find an empty slot in your rod racks that take up half of your garage. I'd like to see a picture of where it'll fit or will it be like that one last piece George Castanza put in his wallet and it suddenly burst at the seams all over Manhattan  :D  :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Psssstt....Hey John....A source is telling me the fuzz are headed your way.....just send it my way and I'll hide it for you.....no one will ever have to know... ;)    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Decker

Is that one of those spinning reels that gets mounted on top of the rod??  :P

thorhammer

No conscience on this one rig...however, the guy had Abu 5600 and classic 5500, both VGC, on decent rods, $35 each, AND a VGC Calcutta 50 on a Falcon rod for $40....I was going to take everything, and may have felt a twinge of guilt on the Shimano, but another customer saved me from my self-loathing.

Ted, after appraising the display situation, I'm building another 48 rod rack at the cabin to hold my 9's and 209's, so that will ease some pressure on the current racks.

Bill, if the cops get me for that 705Z, they will surely be interested in my still-smoking VGC Newell 545 I bought for $20. :)

Joe, it is indeed one of those bakkards reels....I bought it to gift it to my southpaw bassfishing buddy when we go surf fishing, he reels my stuff upside down just to pi$$ me off, lol.

basto

I could never understand why some feel comfortable winding a conventional with their right hand but not a spinner. All my spin reels are right hand wind.
I guess it`s the way we were taught.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Decker

Quote from: basto on November 14, 2017, 08:45:43 PM
I could never understand why some feel comfortable winding a conventional with their right hand but not a spinner. All my spin reels are right hand wind.
I guess it`s the way we were taught.

I think its the casting arm that matters.  Standard spinners crank left and cast right.  Standard conventional crank right and cast right.  Most people have a stronger right arm, including this somewhat ambidextrous southpaw ;D  Also, with spinning, most keep their fingers around the reel stand, so there's no changing hands when casting.  Conventional, if you cast  and reel right-handed, you switch hand positions after the cast. 

handi2

I switched to a left hand retrieve baitcasting reel for that reason. I cant work a rod with my left hand. Only my right growing up fishing spinning reels only.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Decker

Quote from: handi2 on November 14, 2017, 10:52:49 PM
I switched to a left hand retrieve baitcasting reel for that reason. I cant work a rod with my left hand. Only my right growing up fishing spinning reels only.
If you are casting with one hand, that makes sense.

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on November 14, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
........they will surely be interested in my still-smoking VGC Newell 545 I bought for $20. :)

John amigo, I think you ask the price of the reels with a gun in your hand.

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Reel the Conventional's with the right hand. Spinners with the left.
I can't do it any other way and it gives the other arm a break when using both.
I don't cast the big reels, just kayak them out.
Casting the spinners. My right hand is dominant, so it is throwing the rod.
This is the way I was taught, and I think it is the way it was meant to be. JMO
John, You can find a deal anywhere. The way you were taught. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on November 14, 2017, 10:52:49 PM

I always preferred to use left-handed bait casters, especially when throwing heavy musky baits.  Same reason why I like regular spinners.  I can flip and jig, or underhand cast with my left hand, but I am really more comfortable jigging, piping, ECT with the rod in my dominant right hand. 

Bottomfishing with bait, chunking, or livebaiting, where I am mostly cranking and fighting fish, I prefer standard conventional.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: thorhammer on November 14, 2017, 02:38:02 PM
No conscience on this one rig...however, the guy had Abu 5600 and classic 5500, both VGC, on decent rods, $35 each, AND a VGC Calcutta 50 on a Falcon rod for $40....I was going to take everything, and may have felt a twinge of guilt on the Shimano, but another customer saved me from my self-loathing.

Ted, after appraising the display situation, I'm building another 48 rod rack at the cabin to hold my 9's and 209's, so that will ease some pressure on the current racks.

Bill, if the cops get me for that 705Z, they will surely be interested in my still-smoking VGC Newell 545 I bought for $20. :)

Joe, it is indeed one of those bakkards reels....I bought it to gift it to my southpaw bassfishing buddy when we go surf fishing, he reels my stuff upside down just to pi$$ me off, lol.

I'm with everyone else, you hosed that guy on the 705Z and freebie rod at $35. But a Newell 546(?) for $20! Now that's robbery. You scored for sure!