Started by Alto Mare, November 13, 2017, 10:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just got in and this reel was sitting by the front stoop

Here is the manual, made possible by cmdrzog, thanks again Bob

the 300 is huge, compared to the 200

overall not in a bad shape

size comparison with the 200

the clicker is different from the 200 and so is the spool.
This one appears to be milled from one piece, no ss bushing in the middle. Check out the date 1-1-68, cool...

This spool would be a good candidate for the 5-6 washers upgrade, as I did on the 700.
The 700 also had one washer

the weight of the 300 is just under 2lbs

1/2 lb heavier than the 700, but it isn't fair. Since the spool is very close to the 9500ss, I'll compare it with the 9500ss

the 9500ss is 1/2lb heavier.
This 300 is different from the 200, so, since I'm not too familiar with it, I will need to clean it up a bit before attempting to take it apart

lots of greese in these reels and its really thick

WD-40 didn't cut it, this one needed the Paslode cleaner that I like so much

that stuff never lets me down

I can now proceed with the taking apart.

Ok, I decided to pull a couple of additional parts from rthis tank
These parts are really covered with thick grease, I soak them in Simple Green, but I only use a cup full, I do not want to contaminate the 5 gallon bucket

A little squirt with paslode and cleaned with a rag

the bail wire comes out with very little effort, as the 200 did

this ss line roller also has the brass insert

a 9/32 will fit nice and snug on the spool shaft nut

and it pulled right out

the spool shaft is really beefy on this reel

I was surprised to see  3 small screws holding this big rotor, but it  is working just fine

there is some type of fiber washer at the base of the rotor, I think its there as a gasket

the pinion wasn't coming out easely, so I reinstalled one of the screws and gently pried it off with a flathead screwdriver

and out it came

the 2 screws holding the bearing and the 3 holding the rotor are of the same size, so no worries if you get them mixed up

here is an idea on how large that bearing is, compared to a quarter

now I'm trying to figure out how to remove that bearing

did anyone ever get it out? this one doesn't need to come, after cleaning it it's spinning like a top, but I would still like to find out how it comes out.

As mentioned earlier, this reel is built tough, I'm not sure why they chose to install just one drag washer.
I decided to upgrade the drag washers by adding 2 additional washers. I have no doubts if it could handle it, it should also feel much smoother.
I was going to drill the hole to accept the 6-60 washers, but realized it went a little off-center at the very beginning.
the hole needs to be spot on or it won't work.
I do not have a lathe or milling machine, this was done with a cheap drill press and hand tools.
Since the spool comes with a rim on top, I used it to guide my bit, but the 2 holes for the ears need to be drilled first.
If you're in the same situation and do have a drill press, it still isn't easy, but if you take your time it can be done.
I've already done the measurements, so there is no need for you to waste time on it or take a chance.
For me, the best option to drill the hole is by using a good set of forstner bits, here I used a 3/4" bit and the slots for the ears I used a 1/8" bit.
Take your time and measure often as you get close, you don't want to go deeper than 7mm from the top lip on the spool.
On this one I went 8mm and noticed the holes for the ears almost poked through.

The hole came out almost perfect, there are some marks on the top rim from drilling the slots, but not bad

The spool shaft will also need to be modified, not a big deal there. Make sure you're approximately 1mm lower than the retaining spring for the washers, while the spool is on the shaft

When I get another chance, I will need to cut some custom keyed and eared washers for this one. I will probably use brass, ss would be too much work.
The 6-60 carbon fiber washers would do just fine, but I might cut some a little larger as while I'm at it.

Ok, i finally made some washers for this reel, but first I wanted to replace the 3 screws that hold the rotor, I'm not crazy about those, one actually snapped on me, they're very soft.

if anyone wanted to do the same, the type of ss screws is on the box. These only come in 3/8 and are 5-40 in size, you would need to cut them down to size and re tap the 3 holes to 5-40

and the reassemble of the reel

didn't bother with the removal of the bail spring, it is very similar to the Crack 200, I already did that one

and the 3 new ss screws holding the rotor...Ifeel better now

spool shaft goes back in

side plate and gear go back as well

and the new drag stack, converted from one washer to 3

I found some Newell keyed washers, all I needed to do was to enlarge them a bit

eared washers made from a eared washer from a Jigmaster

and a perfect fit

keyed washer on top along with spring and this one is done.

I hope it is of some interest for those that really like these reels, I will take it out and test it, i'm thinking it will be much smoother and powerful than it was.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Midway Tommy

The oil port on the main gear shaft would sure come in handy! A lot of the Euro reels had that aspect. So did a few of the Japanese copies.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

thorhammer

That's a beast, Sal.   

cmdrzog

A great reel for bait fishing, way heavy for plugging.  Most popular mod was replacing the bail w/ a manual p/u from a mitchell 306 or 302 (forget which). Biggest problem was the head support bearing freezing up.  Still have 4 or 5 stashed away somewhere.

Alto Mare

Quote from: cmdrzog on November 14, 2017, 10:18:13 AM
A great reel for bait fishing, way heavy for plugging.  Most popular mod was replacing the bail w/ a manual p/u from a mitchell 306 or 302 (forget which). Biggest problem was the head support bearing freezing up.  Still have 4 or 5 stashed away somewhere.
First time I've noticed your name, did you just join us?...
Anyway, thank you for the information and welcome aboard.
I really like these reels, any information I could get is very much appreciated.

Quote from: thorhammer on November 14, 2017, 12:56:39 AM
That’s a beast, Sal.   
You are correct John, its a monster of a reel. I might try installing a 5 washer stack in this one, it could definitely handle it...we'll see.

Thanks guys.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Decker

"Crack" is an interesting name.  In software, it means a modified version of a licensed program that can be installed without the license.   In Ireland, it means "a fun time."  In the US, the word is notoriously associated with illegal drugs.  I believe this reel originates in France, and wonder how it got its name... ::)

cmdrzog

Hello Sal been around a while don't have much to say usually.  Sent 4 pdfs of original Crack 300 manual to your email as could not figure out how to attach them here.  Check out the locking the flyer feature.

handi2

Here is a couple of pictures
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Midway Tommy

Just as an FYI, all the Crack reels you see out there aren't necessarily older vintage models. Societe Crack et Ru SARL were still making 100, 200. 200S, 300, 300S & 300SPU reels through the 2000s. Luxor owners (families) split in 1967 and the Crack trademark came to be. There were multiple changes to the faces and Crack partners over the years including, '78, '79, '89, '97 & '99. RU actually manufactured the '80s Crack 100s.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Quote from: cmdrzog on November 14, 2017, 10:18:13 AM
If you want to send those 4-5 Crack Heads out to enjoy some daylight let me know  ;D.
I did receive the manual, but as you I'm not able to download it here, maybe my daughter could help when she gets a chance.
Thank you for sending those Bob and yes I'll take the 100 1nd 200 as well.

Quote from: handi2 on November 14, 2017, 04:51:37 PM
Here is a couple of pictures
Is that one yours Keith? Nice clean job!

Quote from: Midway Tommy on November 14, 2017, 05:53:07 PM
Just as an FYI, all the Crack reels you see out there aren't necessarily older vintage models. Societe Crack et Ru SARL were still making 100, 200. 200S, 300, 300S & 300SPU reels through the 2000s. Luxor owners (families) split in 1967 and the Crack trademark came to be. There were multiple changes to the faces and Crack partners over the years including, '78, '79, '89, '97 & '99. RU actually manufactured the '80s Crack 100s.   
Good information Tom, Thanks!

Thanks again everyoone.

Sal

handi2

Yes Sal its one of mine I found in the box of older reels ive had for years. The Paslode cleaner is a big hit for me too.

I do just as many, maybe more, spinning reels as I do conventional reels. With Shimano spinning reels there is no reason to take all the parts out of the body. The worm gear and its parts. I use the Paslode cleaner to clean them out. It's plastic safe. I put the pinion gear back into the reel body, no bearing, spray Paslode in while I turn the pinion gear with my fingers. It gets it super clean. I then spray it full of CorrosionX oil and turn the pinion gear again getting oil everywhere.

It is then blown out with compressed air and ready to grease again.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Very nice Keith.
From what I'm seeing, these reels were designed to last a few lifetimes.
Sal

happyhooker

Wow, that reel ought to be registered as a dangerous weapon (and not just to fish); if you drop it on a body part, something's gonna break and it probably won't be the reel.

If it doesn't violate any rules to do so, getting the Crack manual on the site somewhere might be worthwhile.

Really enjoying the close-up look on this baby.

Frank

Decker

Quote from: happyhooker on November 15, 2017, 03:25:19 AM
If it doesn't violate any rules to do so, getting the Crack manual on the site somewhere might be worthwhile.

Frank or Sal, I could make that happen.  Just PM me and I'll get crackin'  8)

Tightlines667

Did someone crack a joke?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.