Part 2 of 4

Started by STRIPER LOU, November 16, 2017, 08:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Hi All, the other day I posted the star and there's plans to build 3 more items in the group of 4. Had some time last night and tapped the star, so now its complete.

Took Alan's arm and went with a simple 3 hole pattern on the handle again. Of course it received the same polishing treatment as the star, but, before the polish I gave it a pretty thorough test to make sure I hadn't weakened it or created any other problems. Put some serious drag and side torque with a decent size knob and it worked out fine. No bending. I suppose if you wanted to go full Gorilla you can ruin anything but I found it will more than adequately serve my purpose.

These are all fill in jobs when I get a break or when certain machinery is tied up.

To go along with this project there will be a new round mushroom style Acrylic knob w/8 equally spaced holes. Unfortunately, time is limited but it is started.

Lastly, a SS shift lever will be the final piece of the group. This will also have the 3 hole pattern as the star, and hopefully by the end of the year, it will be completed.

Looking forward to posting up each item but the final result will end up on one of Tom's, beautiful, green, 4/0's.

All have a great afternoon as its back to the lathe,  ..  Lou

bhale1

Lou,
This is easy to respond to.....WOW!!!!!!!
Brett

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Bryan Young

Crazy skills you got there. I hope there is someone to take on your craft when you finally retire.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

mhc

They both look great Lou, I'm looking forward to parts 3 & 4. Your 1st class polishing has made a relatively simple (when compared to the work that went into the star) modification to one of Alan's handle arms look fantastic. Also good to know the handle stood up to reasonable loads after the holes were drilled, thanks for sharing.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.