Peening a handle

Started by Deepsouth, November 13, 2017, 11:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deepsouth

Anybody ever try to peen the brass rivet that hold the torpedo handle to tighten the handle up? How did that work out for you? Do not want to break it.

RowdyW

I would say that you would have to remove the oil port ( which is not replaceable). Then you would need a very, very solid mandrel to fit the top of the pin snuggly. Then you would probably have to heat the peened end cherry red  to be able to peen the other end with a heavy blow like from a punch press and hope you don't bend the pin & ruin the chrome plating. That bronze pin is very hard material. More then likely the chrome tube is seized around the pin so if you succeed with the peening operation it will only come loose again when you try to force the handle to turn. Many newbie's have asked this question but I have never heard of any success stories. In a word, if the chrome on the handle is good then just buy an aftermarket knob & drill out the old one.        Rudy

Crow

Rudy gave some good advice !  I've tried...twice.....Removed the oiler, and found a pin punch that fit the hole, to use as a "bucking iron"...clamped it in the vise, and "peened" the "riveted end". It DID tighten , but, as it had , no doubt, been loose for years, there was enough material worn off the center shaft, that when things "tightened down" the outer sleeve had no clearance . 2nd attempt, I pulled the whole knob from it's sleeve, did a similar "peening job"...and again, no clearance . I suppose, if a person had a lathe , to make a new "center shaft", he could replace the original "worn out" one....and by "pulling" he knob....carefully, it could be pushed back on it's sleeve (the sleeve is knurled). But, for the amount of work involved....I'd never try it again. "new" handles are not that expensive on e-bay.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Cor

I tried that and various other ways to try to extend the life of a handle, but all with very limited success.    Once its worn out that's it!

It's like Crow says.

With sophisticated tools you can fix or rebuild anything but not with the limited stuff most of us have available.
Cornelis

Deepsouth

Well thanks for the info. The handle is not seized on the pin. Its just loose. The torpedo handle is just a very nice shade of green and white swirl. I got it to match the green Cortez conversion 501 I had bought.

alantani

i've always wondered if you could remove the grip and tighten the spindle. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: alantani on November 15, 2017, 04:23:05 AM
i've always wondered if you could remove the grip and tighten the spindle. 
I had a friend who was an instrument maker at a department where they designed/made defence equipment.

He drilled and threaded a hole in a handle shaft to be able to fit a screw and tighten the handle that way.

That also only had limited success as much of the wear in the handle is sideways and it remains "sloppy"

My experience is ball bearing handles are best, just replace the bearings periodically which costs only slightly less than a new handle.
Cornelis

oc1

Somewhere around here is a photo of a torpedo knob pulled off the chrome sleeve.  It looked like just some splines on the sleeve to lock it in place.  A little heat would probably get it off.  I don't know about getting it back on unless the plastic/catalin contracts a lot as it cools.  Maybe some glue or locktite could help it along

You must have plenty old knobs to play with Alan.  hint hint  :)
-steve

RowdyW

I think Sal made a jig at one time to remove the knobs without damage. The photos probably were deleted by PB unless Sal put them back up on the forum.      Rudy       

Jerseymic

Hi Guys,

I posted some photos of this contraption I made quite a while back, all gone as per photo bucket, so I will try and post them again.

Only one posted, will try again!!

Jerseymic

Next try

Jerseymic

And again,

Jerseymic

Sorry about the photos being out of sequence, I will get the hang of it one day!!

My first effort was out of aluminium plate but it bent too easily, so I then used steel.

Those folks with an engineering background and the right tools could make something a lot better.

I put the handle in the freezer overnight before pulling the knob, it seemed to work okay.

Mike.

Crow

That looks pretty good !  Sure beats the way I did it !

I got the magnifying glass out, and looked at the "rivet head", and I *think it's NOT peened...or pressed, but "spun riveted". Although, it may be that after "peening" the rough surface was polished, but, there are definite , circular "swirl marks". I looked at a couple bridges, and they appear to have the same "markings" on the posts.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Deepsouth

Thanks for the help everybody I will figure something out. It .maybe useless when I'm through. But you learn through destruction.