'nuther old reel gone thru

Started by mikeorwan, November 13, 2017, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeorwan

Shakespeare 2062NL, again just packed with hard grease, missing handle, one cover screw broken. Had a handle that fit, found an odd screw with same threads.

Is it just me or is it they really don't make stuff this well built any more?

Midway Tommy

That era Shakespeare spinners were pretty decent reels, and, NO, they sure don't make many like that anymore. FYI, those little sideplate screws are quite common and relatively easy to come by. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mikeorwan

Am sure will come across a proper screw for it. Smaller then most others, almost like an eye glass temple screw but with a larger head.
This reel is definitely ending up on one of my Rippin' Lips catty rods.

handi2

At one time I had a big collection of that series of reels. They were built very well. The larger pier reels even came with a factory manual bail.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tiddlerbasher

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be sigh :-\

newfuturevintage

Recently found one of those in a free bin at a kayak fishing tournament. Cleaned, lubed, and spooled it, and was surprised at how nice it was in operation.

smnaguwa

I have a 2062 and with the metal spool, I loaded 15# braid and put in CF drag washers. It does well for Sacramento river stripers. I agree, it is a tough reel.

festus

I remember those.  A friend has the ultralight version of that reel, I think it's a 2052.  He bought his in the 1960s and it's scratched and has a few dents in it but it works good as new.  No, they don't build them that well anymore.   

happyhooker

Love the 2062 stories.  By reputation, I have heard, too, that they are good reels and maybe near the top of the heap from that era. 

I built a spinning rod back in the late 1970s-early 1980s with components from Netcraft, including a purple-red rod blank, that I still have, and I just gotta get a nice 2052 or 2062 from that "Royal Maroon" series to match up with that rod.

Frank

Cor

Everything that is made today is made with the objective to maximise profit, not only for the manufacturer but for the brand owner and retail as well.
Go figure the rest.
Cornelis