Fin-nor Miami 6/0 reel servicing - old school

Started by Alex Stodulka, November 13, 2017, 04:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Stodulka

Hi all.... in a recent attempt to bring some retro back to my LBG season this year i acquired a couple of old senators, an inter, fin nors and some near ancient harnesses etc and am about to build a 5m bamboo gaff.
the penns etc are a dream to work on and dismantle and source parts for however i have come a bit stumped on the fin nors.. I got 2 6/0s numbered 300 and 700 something so i am guessing they are in the earlier runs..  i got two in case i need to salvage parts or needed help to put them back together,

a few questions please:
is there schematics available for them
how do you remove the left hand drag plate... it is made from cork on a steel plate and a bearing in the spool.. the steel plate/shaft seems fairly stuck in the left side plate and the associated bearing and there doesnt seem to be any screw accessible,
finally
are any parts available - namely the strike lever adjustment to stop it going beyond strike?

the bearings that i have been able to remove i have been able to derust and they spin well enough and all the screws seem in reasonable condition bar the handle screw that has stripped on the thread.

I am sure i will have a few more as the reel comes apart/goes back together..
any help is greatly appreciated..

thanks
Alex

Robert Janssen

Yes, there are schematics flying around the internet. I have posted them online before, and I'm sure others have as well, maybe right here on this site. Search and you will find.

Not sure about your other questions, really... it seems just stuck?

This thread contains some pics of the insides of one, that might give you some clues. https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/157925-fin-nor-reels-12-0-9-0-6-0-4-0-21-2a.html

There are other threads online with pics as well. Again, search and find.

Alex Stodulka

thanks Robert, I saw that post thanks and contacting Dr Rob regarding the strip down was my next option...  he seems to have managed to do it.. but i also followed all the extra links to try and find parts suppliers etc...they all took me to either links that took me half way in terms of different reel models or to schematics of later model reels... ie with the two piece spindle or just dead ends.

im guessing that if you think that there are links out there and i can't find them it is either because im entering the incorrect reel model in the search engine or im just picking up different search results because im on the other side of the world... i did look over the space of a week for probably a few hours but found nothing of substance. on the side plate it says Miama FLA and on the bottom of the reel it has a 6 with a 394 number.

I have emailed and phoned Jack Erskines shop in Australia but not sure if they operate following his death. Dave Conners is my next step.

i will keep looking for a few days and then post  a couple of photos of my problem spots.

cheers
Alex

Robert Janssen

Oh, okay.

In that case it is probably a model 60FNA, as in this schematic. The one-piece vs two-piece drag / shaft subassembly isn't a big deal really. They changed it somewhere along the way, that's all.

Fin-Nor schematics are here; your about halfway down. (there are some really cool extras at the bottom of the page 3 btw. Just had to say.)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1607.0

Just fiddle with it; you'll get it apart. Try some WD-40.

I'm told Jack Erskines son took over the shop and I do hope this is true, but don't know.

Re: spare parts, try ebay? That drag stopper gizmo isn't really neccessary though... some reels have it, some don't. Yours doesn't. So what.

Quote...and then post  a couple of photos of my problem spots.

Yeah, do that.Looking forward to it.