alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Restoring sun bleached plastic or bakelite sideplates?
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 14, 2017, 06:24:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Restoring sun bleached plastic or bakelite sideplates?  (Read 181 times)
Whit

« on: November 14, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

Have on old Penn 500 Jigmaster I am restoring.  Looks like about a 70's reel.  The beautiful shiny maroon sideplates, have, alas, in the fulless of time morphed into a sort of dusty brown.  Before AT (this board) I would have rebuilt the reel, then coated the sideplates with some reel oil, and called it good.

I'm thinking there might be a better way to restore at least some of that luster back!

Anyone have a secret recipe?  Extra virgin olive oil?  Armorall? Transmission fluid?

One mistake I have made in the past is to disassemble the reel, then oil the sideplates only to have the plastic expand enough so the rings don't fit any more without some sanding.....

Thanks in advance!   
1badf350

-Chris

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:13:38 PM »

I would like to know this as well. But honestly I don't think they will ever again have that "new" shine to them. I wise man named John Elder over at ORCA suggested I give my plates a soak in a product called Ballistol and "maybe" some super fine sandpaper like 4000 grit or more. I just haven't had the time.
I'm also wondering about buffing with automobile wax and a mechanical buffing wheel.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:15:06 PM by 1badf350 » Logged

-Chris
RowdyW
Firearms Group

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »

Try using automobile polishing compound (the white stuff) & a medium polishing wheel. It takes a little time but it will get through the oxidation & into a fresh surface. It works great for me.        Rudy
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 05:25:52 PM by RowdyW » Logged
thorhammer

"You can't drank all day if you don't start..."

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:42:08 PM »

Side note on Ballistol: it's a really great product. I use it on all firearms. I use headlight lens restorer and a micro cloth on plates. Buffing wheel would be better as Rudy indicates.
STRIPER LOU
Sensei

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 06:02:40 PM »

If they're really bad I start with the orange HD rubbing compound and finish with white. With the orange compound, a 1/2" medium hard rotary brush will work well with a dremel at LOW speed and minimal pressure. Finish with white by hand.

The brush will work well on sideplates with a scene too. On this type plate, only white compound at slow speed. The brush will get in to all the cracks and crevices and give you a better shine. Finish with a good automotive or airplane wax.

There's a bunch of different ways to do this and whichever one works for you is the way to go. This is a bit over the top but it does do a nice job.

Almost forgot,  ... for minor blemishes an ink eraser can do wonders.

Post them up when finished,  ..  Lou

Forgot to mention, Simichrome polish is another good one to try. I use at least a couple 8 oz tins here during the year.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:45:10 PM by STRIPER LOU » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: