3-114 Bridge and Sleeve question

Started by Spyderman, November 15, 2017, 02:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spyderman

Greetings fellow reel enthusiasts,

This is my first post here, and I have a question about two different bridge sleeves I came across in some spare Penn 6/0 parts I recently acquired.  In the photos below, the bridge sleeve on the left does not have the typical flat sided post that the handle would fit onto like the one on the right.  Does anyone know if the bridge sleeve on the left is specifically for using a 6/0 reel with an electric winder?

RowdyW

All the electric winders that I have seen drive the sleeve off of the flats the same as the handle. I doubt that any would try to drive just using the screw on the end of the sleeve.  There would be no room to use the larger diameter thread that the star wheel screws on to unless the star wheel were removed & the drive were attached there at full lock down with the drive attachment.     The sleeve also appears to have been double cross pinned to the bridge post.  Rudy

Tiddlerbasher

It looks as if the handle mount part has been ground down :-\ I can't think of a reason why - an experiment maybe?

Spyderman

Quote from: RowdyW on November 15, 2017, 03:13:36 AM
All the electric winders that I have seen drive the sleeve off of the flats the same as the handle. I doubt that any would try to drive just using the screw on the end of the sleeve.  There would be no room to use the larger diameter thread that the star wheel screws on to unless the star wheel were removed & the drive were attached there at full lock down with the drive attachment.     The sleeve also appears to have been double cross pinned to the bridge post.  Rudy

Greetings Rudy,

Yeah, I noticed the double pinning of the sleeve, for insurance against shearing a single pin under load?  And without the flats to attach to, I'm not sure just a machine screw/bolt provides enough of a hold to attach a winder to the sleeve.  I've never seen an electric winder up close to understand how they attach to the reel.

Spyderman

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 15, 2017, 12:09:08 PM
It looks as if the handle mount part has been ground down :-\ I can't think of a reason why - an experiment maybe?

Greetings Tiddlerbasher,

Puzzlement for sure, and it doesn't appear that it's any sort of accepted modification that this board's members are aware of, so I guess it'll just remain a curiosity on my workbench.  ;)

thorhammer

headscracther....agree....certainly no logic behind an electric motor designed to operate under a straight heavy torque load would only rely on a screw. I'd re-sleeve it from pennParts and keep on.

Keta

The drive could slide over the gearsleeve like the keyed drag washers and be heald in place with the screw.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Lee, I don't think that would work unless you removed the star wheel to get enough bite on the sleeve.

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on November 15, 2017, 02:42:27 PM
Lee, I don't think that would work unless you removed the star wheel to get enough bite on the sleeve.

You are right.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain