Daiwa BG 90

Started by hawkwind, November 16, 2017, 09:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkwind

Hello,  old (brand new)  BG 90  has fallen into my clutches.

I honestly want to strip it and remake for fun.

Considered changes :

Carbontex dra washers - easy
Ball bearings - easy but I shall need advice what type to go, they need to withstand salt water. Current ball bearings are the open type.

Continuous antireverse drag  -  this is going to be challenging, I have to tear the reel down and find out where will the clutch fit. 2 possibilities - I shal remove whole ratchet, cam etc and implant one on the top of the body instead. (so parts 28-31 will be removed as well as all the claws and levers) It will have to be good one warrantied never to fail.
Could you recommend me aftermarket flat one piece clutch with good reputation? Preferably something that could be screwed on the body.

The second option is the handle stand. (part 56 on the diagram) - the assembly from hex out, which will get new body turned and the clutch installed inside.  This is what that chap who remakes old DAM reels on youtube does.
This might need new side plate :(  Which is something which I am not fond off, as I shall loose the daiwa design on it

Last : balance out the rotor  - I honestly just think about screwing CRC  block from outside , but it should be somehow aesthetically pleasing.

What do you think/give me some ideas.

(I work in machinist shop)

Jaro

ez2cdave

Quote from: hawkwind on November 16, 2017, 09:45:14 AMContinuous antireverse drag  -  this is going to be challenging, I have to tear the reel down and find out where will the clutch fit. 2 possibilities - I shal remove whole ratchet, cam etc and implant one on the top of the body instead. (so parts 28-31 will be removed as well as all the claws and levers) It will have to be good one warrantied never to fail.

Jaro

Jaro,

Hello, and welcome to the Forum !

QUESTION : When you said, "Continuous antireverse drag", did you mean "Instant Anti-Reverse" ?

Tight Lines !

handi2

The only flat clutch would be from a Shimano. 3 screws to hold it down.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hawkwind

Continuous - means instant, yes antireverse bearing. I am not an english native speaker, sometimes I speak funny.
;D

J.

ez2cdave

Quote from: hawkwind on December 02, 2017, 09:22:32 PM
Continuous - means instant, yes antireverse bearing. I am not an english native speaker, sometimes I speak funny.
;D

J.

That's alright . . . Sometimes I "think Funny" - LOL !

Tight Lines !

hawkwind

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-SHIMANO-SPINNING-REEL-PART-Stella-6000F-Roller-Clutch-Assembly/291751441335?epid=1028693908&hash=item43edbdb3b7:g:tt8AAOSw2GlXI6Pk

So something like this should fit, I suppose. There is even very similar center part to code on the pinnion on the BG 90 ratchet like here the one on the stella.

Jaro