Long vs Short Screws

Started by CFish, April 03, 2018, 02:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

I've seen mention numerous times of long vs Short Screws, particularly in S-series Newells and one being more desirable than the other.  Can somebody explain to me which screws are being referred to?

Swami805

The side plate screws. The long ones go thru the bars or base from one side plate to the other side plate with a threaded insert on one end or it threads into the inner ring. The short screws just go thru the side plates. Not sure why the came up with that but just an invitation for corrosion and they get stuck in the thru holes. Every model has these crazy long screws that come in all sorts of different lengths so replacments really can only come from a donor reel. I have a few and it doesn't seem to effect performance but a giant PIA to deal with. Also need a tiny size socket to work with them or the heads will round off. Mostly on the C some S and the odd No Letter once and awhile.
If you have one keep them greased or you can get threaded parts or Tiburon Kit.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

C0BRA

I have a no letter 322 with the long screws that go through the frame. I just ordered a Tiburon frame for it.

Anyone know what size screws I need for the new frame kit?

Thanks!

Hamachi

(2) 5-40 oval head 3/4" for drive side
(2) 5-40 oval head 5/8" clicker side
Additional filster heads (8) 3/8" if you think they're all necessary to beef it up. (Some say not all are necessary). It's up to you. Assuming you have the top short screws. I would put all the filleted heads in but that's me. Someone in the high desert sells screw kits, bought some from him he is quick. About a buck apiece. 16 cents each at king bolt, but flat head not oval head, if that's important to you. That's eight 5-40 fillister head screws.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Swami805

There's a guy on ebay now that sell's all the screws and inserts all in a kit. Not the cheapest deal but everything in one package and  he ships fast. Had real good luck with him so far. Just put newell in the search and see  sellers other items when you find a guy selling screws. He has them for all newell sizes. Has Bryan's drag kits too if you're looking.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

X2 on all that. Good guy, good screws and quick shipping.

C0BRA