Newell Kit designations

Started by thorhammer, November 16, 2017, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Will someone remind me what the Penn kit designations were? I recall the wide 114H kit was a Black Marlin Special, I think the wide Jiggy kit was a BFT Special (though you're not using any kind of Jigmaster on BFT in North Carolina, lol). I have a some wide 113H kits and a also a kit that's between HLW and standard width stock 113H frame / spool. So do I remember there are three 113H sizes, that bracket the two stock widths: the Narrow (YTS???), the in-between-the-stock-Penn widths, and the wider-than-HLW kit (YFS???)

The Wahoo Special was a widened 349, correct? As far as I know, the 112H, Squidder kits and stock widths Jiggy kits did not have special designations as mirroring stock dimensions.

I expect Randy recites this in his sleep but he is traveling. If someone constructs a chart on this, moderators please sticky.

Thanks!

John

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, you are correct the wide 6/0 is the black marlin special.  The wider than hlw 4/0 is the broadbill special.  The in between standard and hlw 4/0 is the Marlin special. The narrow 4/0 is the yellowtail special. The extra-wide 3/0 is the Bluefin special (2 3/4").  The wide 3/0 is the tuna special. The wide jigmaster is the Yellowfin special.  The 99 width jigmaster is the albacore special.  The wide 349H is the Wahoo special.  That's all that I know. I believe that the rest of the kits just went by their Penn model number.

thorhammer

Rancanfish

Quote from: thorhammer on November 17, 2017, 12:34:12 AM
Ah yes!   I️

fell asleep?  Is this one of those finish this sentence games?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

thorhammer

Naw that was technophone challenged lol. 

Irecall those are Broadbill kits on two of my reels. 
Thanks folks

Maxed Out

The broadbill 4/0 has same capacity as a 6/0.....hows that for a cool tidbit  :D :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

thorhammer

Yep...goody box received, BTW. Grats!

Decker

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 16, 2017, 11:40:01 PM
The wide 3/0 is the tuna special.

Does anyone know the width of the Newell Tuna Special bars for the Senator 3/0?  I'm hoping it is 2 7/16" like a 500 Jigmaster...

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Joe, the Tuna Special is the same 2 7/16" frame width as the 500.

eguinn

Is somebody lookin for some TS bars? I've got 2 new sets that I'll never use.