Bamboo rod killed some halibut.

Started by Steve-O, June 23, 2011, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

The antique Japanese bamboo rod I got a few months back just got back from its christening with Alaskan waters and halibut blood. The chickens and rockfish were really not much of a challenge and it fished beautifully. The lodge staff were worried I would wreck it but I told them if it snapped...well.....I would put it on the wall broken with a BIG FISH story attached to its demise.  The pics show me with  my GoPro Hero HD cam on my head and filmed the fight with a 35# halibut. The rod flexed well but was not fully into the powerband  with this small one.  After that fish and a few others before it, I retired it for the duration and switched up with 3 other rods I built or cut in half, installed a reinforced ferrule to make them inside the plane carry ons. I feel confident it could easily handle fish up to 80 pounds without extreme stresses snapping it. It took a very slight memory set as do all bamboo rods but later relaxed. GOOD EATING!

Steve-O

Pulling hard on the fish in ripping tide current.

The fish pulling hard back and peeling off line.

Bryan Young

Very cool Steve-O.  Glad you got to use it and it didn't snap.  There's something with fishing old gear...
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

slip tip

Nice one, Steve!

Old fishing gear and old farts rule....... ;D

Regards,
David
If you kill it, grill it!

Snagged2

Hey Steve,
A neighbor recently gave me an old 2-piece bamboo rod with a Penn 285 mounted on it.. He told me he bought it new in 1953. I rewrapped the guides and generally cleaned it up,, but, didn't fare as well as yours,, It split in the upper section coming out of the ferrule. I repaired it,, reglued, etc,, and took it back out and finally managed a little channel cat on it!! 

Was fun to catch a fish on something older than I was. I even used the old braided line that was on it...!!

Thanks for the pics and story,, always fun..
Greg