Calling Our Rod Experts -- Need Some Advice & Direction

Started by foakes, November 16, 2017, 10:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Good friend, Bill E. -- stepped on the butt section of his 4 piece Sage flyrod.

Knowing little about rod repair (except this butt section is crushed beyond proper repair, IMO) -- what are my options to replace the butt section graphite blank?

Model is: DS2 590-4, Graphite ll by Sage out of Bainbridge Island, WA.

Bill owns a cabinet shop down in Auberry, and is an expert in horseback Search & Rescue.  He volunteers his time, truck, trailers, horses, gear, and experience 24/7 for the Sheriffs Department and Forest Service.  He finds folks who are lost or injured.  He is a stand up guy, and was sick when he broke this rod.

What can be done?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Bryan Young

I too agree to try and call Sage. They may have some bottoms that were returned for warrantee and they sent them a new rod but the bottom may be fine.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Swami805

Call Sage, Don't think there's a practical repair for a light fly rod that wouldn't upset the balance of the rod. A metal ferrule would work but add a signicant amount of weight and lose a few inches.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

happyhooker

I repaired a break in my favorite home-built spinning rod a couple of months ago (about 9" above the handle) & it came out fine, but it was a little nick vs. what your compadre has.  Ralph O'Quinn had a good article in Rodmaker mag a few years ago (available on the Internet) about tackling different kids of rod breaks, from those near the tip & others further down.  But, to my novice eyes, that poor Sage doesn't look like a candidate for successful surgery.

Frank

Gfish

Fred, back in the 90's I broke the tip on the same Sage fly rod twice, car door and steppin on it. Sage replaced it both times, no questions, and if I remember right, I only paid shipping. Sent the butt section in and they matched one up to it. Mine was a home build, so I had to re-tie the guides. Don't know what the warranty deal is now. Call 'em or the vendor.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

Very few broken graphite rods can not be repaired, but in most cases it changes their action because the repaired bit is nearly always stiffer than the original.

This is not necessarily negative as some rods I fixed actually turned out better than before.

It takes some thorough planning and searching to find a suitable profile graphite to make a sleeve to repair the broken section.   On a strong rod an insert does not work well, I have never repaired a fly rod.
Cornelis

Shark Hunter

Did a search on Sage and boy, they are expensive.
I am sure a master rodsmith could fix it, but I am not one.
Life is Good!

oc1

I agree with Cor and all the others.  You could stick it back together with a graphite insert but it would never be the same.  Sage stuff is very refined; hence the price.  If he was willing to fork over the initial cost then his tastes are probably very refined as well.  Send it back to the factory.  Even if they charge him it would make  economic sense.
-steve

bhale1

Fred,
I agree with Steve and the others,send it back. They are exceptional rods, and almost any repair will effect the action, even that low in the blank. I still have and use 3 of them, and had great service from them when a camper door broke the tip off one😥
Brett

Jim Fujitani

I agree.  Call Sage.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

Crap happens all of the time.  They are a reputable company still in business.  It appears to be a four section, factory-built-to-specs rod as opposed to a custom build.  Sage may want Bill to send them all four sections along with a cover charge, before they send out a replacement (that way they have three sections for people that have broken other sections).  Or they may have an orphan butt section in their stock.

"Lifetime guarantees" don't have free replacement anymore.  We know that Calstar and Seeker require a "cover charge" for replacement of a rod that wasn't intentionally abused.

MarkT

Same with Phenix.  If it's a mfg defect they'll replace for free otherwise there's a warranty fee associated with the replacement of between $50 and $150. Black Diamonds are $65-75 and Hybrids are $120. In years past I've warranteed a Shimano Convergence rod and there was no charge.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Benni3

There really nice rods,,,very good warranty thay will fix it,,,but thay take forever  :D

wfjord

As other said, I'd call Sage about it.  Back in the early 2000s, as I recall, the DS2 selling price was in the upper $200s range.  I have two 5-wt Sage SPs from the same time period, but if I broke one I'd never be able to get it replaced with another identical rod.  Depends on the warranty of that rod, but I remember years back reading warranty terms that with discontinued models under original owner, Sage would at least replace it with something similar if they didn't have any of the same models left. Sage made some beautiful rods.

Sage warranty dept.   888-848-7243
https://www.sageflyfish.com/contact

happyhooker

Hopefully, Sage will replace the part at no or a reasonable cost.  I agree with Cor that most rods can be repaired, but it could affect the action, especially if part of the damaged part has to be removed (this will also affect length).

Even with a graphite rod, Ralph O'Quinn's logic is to use a fiberglass insert/sheath for repair.  He feels the modulus ("bendability") of the fiberglass will be less than the graphite, thus minimizing added stiffness and perhaps minimizing stress at the ends of the insert/sheath where it meets the rod to be repaired.  Rod butts are often pretty stiff to begin with (especially fast action rods), so a little additional stiffness may go unnoticed.

Frank