Double Dog for Pro Gear 440?

Started by mrwilson99, November 19, 2017, 04:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrwilson99

Is it possible to put a second dog for a Pro Gear 440? I see both side cut the same way. Also, anyone have a dog spring they would like to sell? My flew out :(
David

mrwilson99

David

Smols

There is a post from SoCalAngler about double dogging a 454 - it will be the same for the 440. You need to remove some aluminum material from the side plate in the area where the second dog will be installed, you will need to file the second dog to fit and install a flat spring for the new dog. I did this on my 454, it was fairly simple and turned out great. gstours also has some posts about double dogging a 454 using the same process. I will be doing another soon on a 545.

Regards,
Smols

gstours

Mr Smols;  It is possible to double dog your reel as others have mentioned.  You can review my misnamed post here on the Progeat sectiom about my "545"  typo error.   Its showing the cutting and installation of a leaf spring.  Mine was a 454 butt  they are similar.   Its a great project for you.    I used sst dogs and reshaped the second dog as shown    Use sst dogs if possible.    Its worth it.   Very strong reel.

vilters

or you can do it the easy (and safe) way - use pro challenger dd bridge for penn 4/0 H. drops in with no mods. while I appreciate the skills of those who modify the sideplate to accept the 2nd dog, I haven't as yet been brave enough to grind the sideplate myself. might also want to add stainless sleeve and upgrade drag stack to 5 or 7 from the og 3 stack.

MarkT

I went with the double dog bridge with a ss gear sleeve, a 7 stack drag and Max's shift lever in my 545. I now have a tanked out shelf queen.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mrwilson99

I will look into those options, just wanted to get my reels going and then modify later.
David

vilters

minimally, I would recommend upgrading drag system to at least 5 stack (og penn 4/0) will seriously improve drag stopping power and smoothness. doesn't cost much either. on my 545 I installed: pro challenger bridge, stainless sleeve, stainless gear set (pro gear set is bronze) and 5 stack drags. very strong reel in a small package. gonna do my yts the same

Rancanfish

Yep, what he said.  Although as I've said before, if you aren't going after giant, tough fish, you can go with what you have.

I just did a YTS with the sleeve, 5 stack drags, and double dog bridge. I didn't have an insert for the steel Penn gear, so I just put the bronze back in.  Also as I've said before, I have never, ever, ever had one of my reels fail on the water.  Proper use of the drag system and you will be fine.

I hope I run into a giant anything and my reel explodes! (I never catch anything big).  ::)
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.