Suggestion

Started by Scattergun2570, November 19, 2017, 06:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I am thinking of putting together a conventional setup for next years fluke season.. I will be jigging from a bridge with bucktails/gulp. I do not need much line capacity..its not deep water..so what Penn would you suggest for something like that?

RowdyW

A Penn Warfare Levelwind on a 7 ft. 30# rod.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: RowdyW on November 19, 2017, 07:09:51 AM
A Penn Warfare Levelwind on a 7 ft. 30# rod.

I looked at it on Penns site, I see they don't make any low profile baitcasters. I've never been comfortable with a round reel...maybe Someone else makes something in low profile, good for the salt?

philaroman

there are plenty that are "good for the salt", but I can't think of any that are "good for a bridge" -- a lo-profile is possibly the worst type of reel to use as a winch...  even the bigger ones like Tranx or Komodo, would need a power version w/ lower gear ratio, IMO

Scattergun2570

Quote from: philaroman on November 20, 2017, 06:17:18 AM
there are plenty that are "good for the salt", but I can't think of any that are "good for a bridge" -- a lo-profile is possibly the worst type of reel to use as a winch...  even the bigger ones like Tranx or Komodo, would need a power version w/ lower gear ratio, IMO

Well it's not high off the water..and it's located in a bay,,not ocean..if that makes any difference.

oc1

Penn never evolved into the low profile reel because they never catered to the baitcasting crowd to begin with.  There are a zillion low profile baitcasting reels and it gets bewildering. Everyone will have an opinion.

For flounder in the South I used ABU 5000's then the smaller Shimano Calcutta for decades but they are both round reels.

I had pretty good luck with the low profile Lew's Speed Spool Inshore but abandoned them based on size alone and went to the smaller low profile Shimano Curado 70.  In my hands, the Shimano had more corrosion problems than the Lew's ever did and the Lew's costs less.
-steve

thorhammer

A penn 940 may work for you.   It's a flounder reel in its essence. It's round but smaller diameter than Ambassadeur, has a clicker, and retrieve around 4.6 to 1 to get fatty off the pilings.

Benni3

2/0 senator tricked out

Swami805

You could try one of these. High gear for the lures low for winching up the bridge
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Swami805 on November 20, 2017, 01:19:34 PM
You could try one of these. High gear for the lures low for winching up the bridge

I just realized something. Are you guys thinking I am going to hoist the fish up the bridge? We use a special net that is lowered down to the water and the fish is swung in the net and then lifted..no pressure on the reel anymore at that point.

Rancanfish

;D Swami. I immediately reacted the same, in response to Steve saying Penn 'never' did low profile.  I have one also.  Not much capacity though.

Scatter, that's exactly what I thought.  If you are lowering a net, I would think any reel would work.  

A 300 size Daiwa Lexa may be fun.  You can buy low or high speed gearing and it fits in my medium sized hands.

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 20, 2017, 06:27:08 PM
 ;D Swami. I immediately reacted the same, in response to Steve saying Penn 'never' did low profile.  I have one also.  Not much capacity though.

Scatter, that's exactly what I thought.  If you are lowering a net, I would think any reel would work.  

A 300 size Daiwa Lexa may be fun.  You can buy low or high speed gearing and it fits in my medium sized hands.

Well do you know which low profile baitcasters have CRBB's? Whether it be Shimano,Daiwa,Quantum?

philaroman

Quote from: Scattergun2570 on November 20, 2017, 05:07:53 PM
I just realized something. Are you guys thinking I am going to hoist the fish up the bridge? We use a special net that is lowered down to the water and the fish is swung in the net and then lifted..no pressure on the reel anymore at that point.

you still want low-gear for any situation that doesn't require fast retrieves

going by specs & reviews (not personal experience) Revo Winch might work well for you:
http://www.tackletour.com/review2010lowspeedfinal.html
more drag, more line, bigger handle...  not  a stellar casting tool, but that's a non-issue for your vertical presentation -- a major flaw that doesn't effect YOU is good, since it drives the price down

handi2

We used to make our own bridge nets in the 70's. A 26" bicycle wheel strung with netting. They didnt make them back then. Now you can buy them.

There's no way we could reel up Redfish, Trout, and Flounder. Its not even thought of.

Shimano makes the CRB corrosion resistant bearings but they are no more corrosion resistant than any other from what I have seen.

A low profile reel would be perfect. I assume it's just like Flounder fishing we do here. Bottom bumping with jigs or live bait with a Carolina Rig.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Quote from: handi2 on November 21, 2017, 12:04:54 AM
We used to make our own bridge nets in the 70's. A 26" bicycle wheel strung with netting. They didnt make them back then. Now you can buy them.

There's no way we could reel up Redfish, Trout, and Flounder. Its not even thought of.

Shimano makes the CRB corrosion resistant bearings but they are no more corrosion resistant than any other from what I have seen.

A low profile reel would be perfect. I assume it's just like Flounder fishing we do here. Bottom bumping with jigs or live bait with a Carolina Rig.
Keith,,,,low profile reel you got a jigging master under head,,,,,ya it's the Ferrari of reels   8)