Need a good Beer Batter Receipe

Started by gstours, November 19, 2017, 02:43:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

I,m using flour,  pale ale or lager, salt garlic powder and baking powder in various amounts and its good ,   Butt was wondering about new twists.  What are your favorite ingredients,   oil,   etc?   I have migrated to coconut oil in a fry pan for small fresh batches.    Thanks. ;)

STRIPER LOU

Some Cajun spices or Sirracha will kick it up a notch! Any beer battered fish is hard to beat.

A few weeks ago we went to Lenny's at the shoreline. Instead of Tartar sauce they had a mixture of Cajun spices, a touch of sour cream, some mayo and a dash of lemon as described by the waitress.

It was one of the best dipping sauces I've ever had,  ... so maybe as your doing now but add the dipping sauce to take it to the next level.

Maybe you can come up with a special concoction!

...............Regard's,  Lou

Keta

We had an unusual bumper crop of peppers this year so I smoked, dried and ground them into powder.  I put a bit of this in the last fish batter and it was good.  We to are using more coconut oil for a lot of things, including making soap.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

I've been using Tony Chachere Cajun Spice for many years to season just about everything, it would make a good addition to your dry ingredients....Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

I like the simple recipes like Gary posted initially.

It bothers me that the trend is to slipping hot spicy 'stuff' in everything, in every restaurant we go to. A plain ole chicken sandwich will have you gasping, and looking for a drink.  And I did not want or order spicy.  It kills some of us.

Rant over.  Carry on with your jalapeno milkshakes.  :o
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

conchydong

Yellow Mustard like the do in Ensenada. A spoonful in the beer batter mix kicks it up.

festus

Usually I keep it simple and make the batter with equal parts of beer and self rising flour.  Sometimes I might add egg yolk, powdered cayenne and onion powder.

gstours

Thanks for the dipping sauce spices ideas.  I'm a big dipping sauce guy.  Just salt n pepper is hard to beat if the fish and batter is tops  ;) butt ,,,,  do you like egg or egg whites or milk 🥛 in the batter?   I've heard of 50/50 cornstarch and flower used?  I'm going to try some potato or rice flower next time as I find some.   Cheers 🍻

philaroman

definitely try rice flour/starch -- GOOD STUFF!!!
IMO, potato flour/starch is better for baked/boiled foods, like pies & dumplings
eggs will expand, for a thicker fluffier layer of batter -- if you want thin & crispy, skip 'em
milk is a must for crepe batter, but may make fish batter TOO soft/mushy & may burn at higher fryer temps.

Quote from: Rancanfish on November 19, 2017, 06:23:40 PM
I like the simple recipes like Gary posted initially.

It bothers me that the trend is to slipping hot spicy 'stuff' in everything, in every restaurant we go to. A plain ole chicken sandwich will have you gasping, and looking for a drink.  And I did not want or order spicy.  It kills some of us.

Rant over.  Carry on with your jalapeno milkshakes.  :o

I feel your pain -- I don't digest Capsaicin...  while I can take a moderate burn on the way in, I can't handle even mild burn, on the way OUT   :o :'( >:(  ...keep a TP roll in the freezer, LOL

Midway Tommy

Out here in the middle of the US where great tasting fresh water fish such as walleye, crappie, bluegill, catfish, etc., abound there really is no reason to muddy up pan frying recipes with a bunch of spices, hot or otherwise. I prefer to KISS it (Keep it Simple Stupid) with milk & egg and flour & crushed saltines or wheaties with a little salt & pepper. Dip fillets in flour/saltine or wheaties mix, dip in the milk & egg mix, dip again in the flour mix and fry. Nothing better than great tasting pan fried freshwater fish, and it's also great on morels! Yummie!

Oh, BTW, this made me hungry so we'll be having pan fried walleye, fried potato slices and creamed corn for supper tomorrow night! Yee Haw!    
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tightlines667

Love them shore lunch Walleyes.

Incidentally I had fresh-caught, Panko-crusted, Pan Fried Yellowfin Tuna fir dinner tonight.  This is not my favorite way to cook it, but I was in the mood for breaded fish.  Some call it 'Ahi Katsu' here.

*This was before I read the thread.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.