What's your favorite hot pepper?

Started by festus, November 19, 2017, 08:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Down in Fresno we still have the traditional truck farms thanks to the large Asian population.
Many still grow the real Jalapeno not the TAMU hybrid.
The real Jalapeno is still my fave. Great flavor and texture and depending on who grew them just the right amount of heat.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Big Tim

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 20, 2017, 12:10:19 AM
Every time peppers come up. I think of John.
I'll stick with Jalapeno's. ;)

I just love the kids laughing in the back ground  ;D

Dominick

I make chili rellenos using poblano peppers.  Usually I make 6 at a time.  Usually out of the 6, 3 will be hot and 3 will be no hotter than a bell pepper.  Does anyone know what to look for to get the hot tasting poblanos?  When they are hot they still have a great taste.  I don't like anything that fires up the mouth with heat but gives no flavor and does not allow you to taste anything else.  I like fire roasted jalapenos which are tamed by the fire roasting.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Decker

I don't know that I've ever eaten a fresh habanero, but strangely, habanero hot sauces burn me less than some others.  Habanero always has a pleasant anesthetic effect, warms me up and calms my stomach.   Maybe the sauce is very weak, but I like the  way a meal sits with it.  Very satisfying.

festus

Quote from: Decker on December 04, 2017, 08:20:48 PM
I don't know that I've ever eaten a fresh habanero, but strangely, habanero hot sauces burn me less than some others.  Habanero always has a pleasant anesthetic effect, warms me up and calms my stomach.   Maybe the sauce is very weak, but I like the  way a meal sits with it.  Very satisfying.
I've made habanero hot sauce cut with carrots to retain color and water down some of the heat.  Recipe is similar to this one in the link.  Also canned it in half pint jars by the boiling water bath.  IMHO it isn't that hot but very flavorful.

http://happyolks.com/carrot-habanero-hot-sauce/

festus

Here are some pics to warm you up. 34 degrees here.

First pic is my first attempt at making a super hot sauce several years ago.  Used ghost and 7 pot hot peppers, cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, garlic, onions, sea salt, cut with tomatoes, bell pepper and a few other choice ingredients. Second pic is the result.  This stuff is long gone and many more batches have been made since.

Sluggo

my wife being from Sichuan likes very spicy food.  Knowing this my boss gave me some homegrown peppers and tells me  " they're not too hot I eat them "  I've never seen this type pepper before and he seems way to proud of them. So I take them home explain to her that I think my boss is playing a joke on her.
the next day my boss and coworkers who are obviously in on the joke ask so what did your wife think of those peppers?
I tell him she said "you should grow peppers for adults not children" 
Guess the joke was on them

fishmeluck

My favorites are the chile de arbol in red salsa and red guacamole and the serrano chile in green salsa and green guacamole, among other ingredients. I like my spicy foods spicier than most Americans but only when the peppers add to the overall flavor of the dish. Not sure why but I'm not very fond of jalapeno, and I don't know their names but really like the peppers in Indian and Thai curries.
Give a man a fish and he will have fish for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.