We are a go!: New Tiburon Extra Narrow (1 5/8") Penn 113H Frame/Spool Kits

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, November 19, 2017, 10:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

From the opening post on page 1: "These kits have an ""effective frame width"" of..." How/where does one measure effective frame width?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Gfish on December 03, 2017, 07:09:21 PM
From the opening post on page 1: "These kits have an ""effective frame width"" of..." How/where does one measure effective frame width?
Gfish

It is difficult to compare the frame width of the "new-style" Tiburon Senator frames to all of the other frame kits (Cortez, Newell, Accurate or "old-style" Tiburon) because of the flange that Tiburon now incorporates into the frame to replace the inner trim rings.  I used the term "effective frame width", eliminating the extra width of the flanges, to be able to compare the width these "new-style" frames on an apples for apples basis against the traditional frames, where the width was measured between the side plates.  Does that make sense?

Army_of_One

Quote from: Gfish on December 03, 2017, 07:09:21 PM
Gfish
The Penn one piece aluminum frames have the same issue where the inner trim rings are incorporated into the frame.  I couldn't get a good measurement on my 114HLW because you can't see where the start of the inner rings would be.  We should really have a standard measurement place, possibly between the base of the lugs, to compare these "lip kits." 
Another day in Paradise!

eguinn

Hey Randy, can you put me down for 2 + 1 extra spool in black with no graphics. Ed

mikeysm

I have a set of sideplates ready for the new narrow frame. Cortez side plates. Alan C 113hx gears, handle, knob, stainless duel dog bridge with sleeve, stainless yoke and jack. Tiburon drag star and Max Out eccentric lever.

Bryan Young

Hi Randy, just to be clear, are the frames the old style or new style. I got lost in the posts. Thank you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 14, 2017, 06:02:21 PM
Hi Randy, just to be clear, are the frames the old style or new style. I got lost in the posts. Thank you.

Bryan, the frames are "new-style".

steelfish

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on December 14, 2017, 06:40:49 PM

seems like a new batch of sideplates from Tom will be needed.

any way that the new Xnarrow frame could be used with stock red sideplates?
The Baja Guy

mikeysm

The new style frames are stronger and keeps everthing aligned.

Mike

swill88

Quote from: steelfish on December 14, 2017, 08:42:49 PM
Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on December 14, 2017, 06:40:49 PM

seems like a new batch of sideplates from Tom will be needed.

any way that the new Xnarrow frame could be used with stock red sideplates?

The way I understand it Alex is the stock plates work but just without the inside rings.

Steve

steelfish

Quote from: swill88 on December 15, 2017, 02:04:55 AM

The way I understand it Alex is the stock plates work but just without the inside rings.

Steve

thats what I was thinking cuz the "new-style-frame" works with toms side plates that dont need inside rings.

it might be cool to have a reel with this new Xtra-narrow frame like Dominick's Tank, with all the SS goods but stock sideplates to keep the vintage look.

thanks Steve.

The Baja Guy

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Steve is correct. The kits will work fine with any stock Penn made in the USA 113h side plates without the inner trim rings. Tiburon says that the frames will not work with the Chinese Senators.

Bryan Young

Quote from: steelfish on December 15, 2017, 02:44:48 AM
Quote from: swill88 on December 15, 2017, 02:04:55 AM

Steve

thats what I was thinking cuz the "new-style-frame" works with toms side plates that dont need inside rings.

it might be cool to have a reel with this new Xtra-narrow frame like Dominick's Tank, with all the SS goods but stock sideplates to keep the vintage look.

thanks Steve.

Did Ton produce 2 style of side plates?  One that's goes flush with the old style frame and another that is groves so that it will fit in the new style frame?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Yes Bryan, Tom has two different versions of his 4/0 side plates.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tiburon needs me to make a decision on the graphics tomorrow, as the kits should be coming back from anodizing soon.  We are going to go with Army of One's suggestion, seconded by Maxed Out, Steelfish, Caranx and PacRat - T4N1.  It reads like "TANI" and it is reasonably consistent with Tiburon's numbering system.  Robin, your Tiburon hat for coming up with the name will be in the box with your T4N1 kit.

We are not going to include any fish artwork except for the standard Tiburon logo on one side, as this is a very narrow frame and there is not enough room.

If anyone wants to change their order to with or without graphics, please let me know tonight if possible.  If you are happy with the way that you ordered it, you do not need to do anything.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas and support in this project.  I will post as soon as I have a definite delivery date from Tiburon.

Randy