Salmon trolling flys of se Alaska

Started by gstours, November 21, 2017, 04:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

As my blue ones got chewed up or given to friends my supply became exhausted it seemed like time to make more.  Here are some pictures of a restart.👨‍🌾. The top one is dry and the other is wet.  It's just a start.

gstours

And a couple more mostly synthetic materials.

swill88

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

gstours

Thanks,  yes troll behind a flasher.  Hotspot or newer e- chip pro trolls are my preferred ones.   Seemed like our coho preferred the blue ones this year?   Years past I've done mostly green.  Very similar patterns.💁‍♀️

gstours

For Coho late in the year (sept)  I like the bigger bushy type bucktail? type of flys.   as most fish are scattered and mature feeders. 
      The Tube flies are somewhat of an advantange to have as they can be easily changed to other hook types or and replaced  for new hook/leader when the length need to be changed or the leader gets knikked or hooks broken off in the net.
   The common mooching leader/ hook configgeration is good.   Butt once your killer/vg fly is buggered up then your kinda stuck with it....
I fish both types,  see what you think?      Lets put the gear down!! :)

thorhammer

Gary, what I️ think is the stripers will kill this behind a plug. Can you show how you make the epoxy head?

John

gstours

Yes for sure.  This will be listed as diy Epoxy Heads ok?  I will take some pictures of the next one ok?     It's easy and adds the finishing touch and very durable.   Another blue one below. Dry then wet!

gstours

And one with green 🤳.  Some heads have hand painted eyes.  But the store bought one are fast n easy.  The more round ed the head the more they have to be filled.  Some thin stick on eyes 👀 are more flexible. It's what you got and want!💁‍♀️

David Hall

Very nice, I'm going to check out your other thread.   I like them.

gstours

As a fun indoor winter activity a few more tube flys are on my list of things to do.  Another tip is to have a few leaders with hooks pre sharpened to replace a leader if it's needs replacing.  When the bites on you don't want to waste time.    A few new colors are shown below.   

David Hall

I just ordered up a slew of materials to tie a mess of these this winter for next April's Salmon opener.  I'm thinking a dozen should get me through the he season.  I'd like to see how you tie the tube variation.  It would be nice to be able to swap out hooks and leaders or a fresh lure body.

gstours

Yes,  will do   time is wasting!    Fiss honn!!! :D
     I,m goinna do short segments and use the I-pad to send.   Maybe a go pro video,  great another winter project!

gstours

As we refine some of our techniques, we have seasonal and types of colors and sizes.   To match your hatch 🐣
  Here are a few from my pictures files......every one is different.  Just wondering what they want?

David Hall

I found some rigid tubes on fleabay I think I ordered 3mm large enough to run 40lb test line through.  I can't wait to wrap a few of these.  Thanks Gary for posting these.