Salmon trolling flys of se Alaska

Started by gstours, November 21, 2017, 04:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Thanks for the interest.    Ive been trying to send more pictures for a few days.   phone/pad is easy when?    I dont have good signal sometimes.    just check back.    Just sayin ,   you need some tube, and thread, and some imagination, of what you want to create.
     The rest is up to you,   Im away from my home for till after the weekend.   So it will all come up her with time.....
  Salmon Trolling flies work good for me.   Butt sometimes other things fish will prefer.    Its fun to make a lure and catch a fish.   Its better when you eat it.   and find out its good for you.  So lets go?   

David Hall

David Hall

Most of the supplies for tying arrived, so without further adieu.  This is my first attempt in about 30 years, I started tying dry flies back in the 60's and somehow just stopped doing it sometime in the 70's.  I still had my kit, Vise, several spools of bread and a mess of feathers, most of them in pretty poor shape as you might imagine they haven't seen the light of day in thirty plus years.  95% of my fishing these days is in the big salt pond with Salmon being my primary target species.  I'm a huge fan of trailer hooks, I fish plenty of single hooks too, they have their place but if I'm tying it myself why not add the trailer?  This fly is meant to imitate a sardine tied on a 5/0 hook with a 6/0 trailer hook tied on with a loop of 40# braid woven and glued into the body of the fly.  In addition there is a foam pad tied into the body to hold scent oils. Note the hook in the body faces up.  Here it is dry and wet.  It was harder to tie than I remember?  The head didn't come out at all as planned.  It was to get a #7 fish skull and eyes.  I tied it to big for the #7 head to fit so I just left it as thread wrapped.  Think I'll coat it with a few layers of acrylic nail polish.  My hands aren't as steady and my eyes are not as good.  The guys in the videos on you tube make it look so much easier.  Took me about 45 minutes to tie this one, I stabbed myself and drew blood three times with the trailer hook just tying it.  Note to myself, in the future don't add the trailer hook until the tying and finishing is completed!  They do work!

gstours

Thanks Dave,  I think you still got some skill there.  I've never used a foam pad for scents yet.  Good idea. 
  Although I'm a firm believer in the e-chip technology,  if I catch fish and they take my money 💵 then we are both happy.🤷‍♂️🚣‍♀️🤷‍♂️   You can make a real durable inexpensive fly w nail polish and or epoxy.  Glitter or paints can be added to give you more options.
   Yes as you use barbless hooks, I too would use a trailer hook.  Many of my boated fish are only hooked on this trailer.    Have fun, and go fishing soon.😍👍
   Below is the latest ones before I shift gears.  More on the tube fly soon.

gstours

As there's some satisfaction in scavenging and recycling, generally through the year my eyes 👀 are thinking fishing 🎣 stuff.  Sometimes a dollar saved makes my pals 😂 poke fun, I don't mind.😡🐣
  Here are some tube pcs that can be used for tube flys at no cost.   Also some bobbins that proves how bored a person can be when the 📺 tv is in your face.

gstours

The purpose of this post is to illustrate if you need or want to some of the things you need are already at your fingertips.  I'm not saying it's for everyone either.   
  The hard plastic tube keeps from wearing and breaking the thread .  As large heads and flies take lots of thread it's nice to have the larger sewing machine size thread.  It's available in polyester, in many colors and quite strong.

gstours

These home made bobbins we made at a friends house with limited materials and time.  They were in my picture files so I sent them. 
        When you make a large fly it will look different after soaking up water.  Synthetic and natural materials sort of melt and loose the fluff/bushy look.   Plastics and vinyl hootchys stay as boring as when dry.     There is a lot of good info you can sort out by watching u-tube posts  are free and available to most everyone.     
  As we are all different in our opportunitys, skills, and desires we all hope to catch just one more fish before cashing out.

David Hall

These fish pictures are making me sick, I might not be able to work next week.

Alto Mare

Good attitude my friend, fish until the time is up 😉

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Thanks Sal.  Theres a lot that can added when you go fishing.  Like just having a nice day in the natural surrounding of  where you are.  Smelling the fresh or tidal air can clear your senses that the city has robbed you of.  Hearing the birds, or howls of coyotes or wolves when the motor is shut off.   Its priceless to be free of any and all noise at times.  Totally quiet is a rare thing. 

Sometimes you,ll see a waterfall where ther never was one before.  Or a rainbow when the fog starts to clear.   Its The peacefulness sometimes makes me think,  Do I really want to go home and work this afrtenoon?

Then if you are lucky enough to get a fish, you realize that you need to get it properly cut and packaged.   Butt thats ok?

David Hall

What to do after looking at pictures from you. I'm throwing everything except the kitchen sink at them and If I could get it to troll right I'd throw it at them too.  I got #2 done and it's loaded, got a rattle, scent strips (that are accessible), trailer hook and he latest feature to impart crazy chaotic action.  I saw one on you tube, it listed about fifty species of fish that it's worked on so what the heck, it can't hurt.  Instead of buying them for whatever the price was I figured I can make this, leftover plastic water bottle cap and a drink stirerer er. Trim down the side, center punch a hole, slide the tube through glue it in place and trim it off. It just slides over the leader and scope water as it's trolled along.  I have no idea if or how exactly it's going to work but, I can't fish right now and I'm working on quitting smoking, ( down from 2 packs a day to about five smokes a day) so I gotta keep my hands busy and my mind occupied.  How much can you add to a single fly?  

David Hall

Here it is ready to snap on to the mainline and troll.

gstours

Thanks for more pictures of what your doing.  You got a good pattern there I think.  Thanks for the wetted fly, its generally more lifelike I think an the fibers align themselves, and kinda flow.  It seems like you got the new eyes as well.  Nice touch.   As a general rule, that I,ve noticed,   the trolling or large streamer flys usually have some white and some flash on the bottom part of the fly, and the top side of the fly generally has the darker colors with maybe even some even darker and or black at the very top of the fly.   Maybe this is similar to the species that you might be trying to imitate.   Although a lot of flys dont even look look any insect, minnow,crab,shrimp, etc??
    I have used the patented Action Disk like what you made and it puts an erratic action on the fly for sure.  These would be used without a flasher in my experience   I never thought of making one?   Good idea.  Pull it thru the water and watch it.   Could be good?
I will try to show some tube tie stuff in a couple of days when I get home.   Find a way to hold the tube.  For now maybe use a darning needle or a crochet needle that the hook end has been removed.  Hold it in your vice or improvise  (buy) something to hold the needle.   If it is a little smaller than your tube, you can build it up with a few layers of wrapped thread.  Nail polish will cement it on and its cheap.
    If you can rotate the tube its better,  but for starters its another luxury for later.   
A lot of enjoyment can be had for a few bucks and if you catch a fish,  thats even better right?   Its relaxing and therapeutic.