Where were you on November 22, 1963?

Started by Dominick, November 23, 2017, 03:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

conchydong

I was only two years old. When I got a little bit older, I realized how close we were at that time to a possible war with the USSR. We lived in Key West and during the missile crisis my dad had built bunks in the abandoned cistern underneath our house. Not that it would have done any good in case of a nuclear attack, but it showed the mindset at that time. Thank God that calm heads and the right strategy prevailed.

oc1

The Cuban missile crisis was a year earlier in '62.  I was still in a Catholic grade school then.  During the missile crisis the nuns would have use kneeling on the stone floor by our desks and praying for hours at a time.  It must have worked and the emotional scars are not that bad.  Man, was I ever glad to get out of that place.
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on November 24, 2017, 05:42:29 AM
The Cuban missile crisis was a year earlier in '62.  I was still in a Catholic grade school then.  During the missile crisis the nuns would have use kneeling on the stone floor by our desks and praying for hours at a time.  It must have worked and the emotional scars are not that bad.  Man, was I ever glad to get out of that place.
-steve

Now now nun of that... :D ;D ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

sdlehr

7 years old in Mrs. Klein's second grade class. The principal, Mr. Jones, made the announcement on the school PA system (called a loudspeaker back then). We were sent home immediately. These events occupy an exclusive file in my brain - this, 9/11, John Lennon's death and a few other things are stored away there.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Midway Tommy

8th grade @ Geo W Norris Jr High in Omaha. Like a lot of others', the girls were crying up a storm. The guys didn't have much to say. I don't think we really comprehended that much about what had just happened.  ??? I think it took a couple of days to sink in.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

3 weeks from this world....mom and dad were living in Santa Monica, CA at the time....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Aiala

Ninth grade, Miami Beach. Air Force One had flown right over my school a few days before. We were sent home, too.  :-[

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

it was dark, very dark.  I wasn't even a sparkle in my momma's eyes yet.  She was dealing with my brother and sister.   ;D ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

oc1

It's neat to see how old you geezers are.  We're the same age Tommy.
-steve

handi2

I was 9 years old at Semmes Elementary school. I remember my grandfather crying.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

I was in Fort Belvour Virginia on alert standby Army base 18years old.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

day0ne

In Amarillo TX, sitting in the local drive in, on lunch break from high school.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

scrinch

I was 5 years old in South Shores, CA. My mother came running across the street from the neighbor's house with tears streaming down her face. I'd never seen her like that before. I was scared to death.

kmstorm64

Still in the womb for a few more months.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

reel man

22 years old at MCAS El Toro, Santa Ana, Calif. was the most horrible news ever.