THIS IS HOW TO POST PICTURES TO THIS SITE

Started by Dominick, June 24, 2011, 06:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

when you add a post, there is a button that says "additional options."  click on that, then look for the "attach: choose file" button and click on that.  you can upload photos that way.  alternatively, i can give you access to our gallery and you can host your photos on this website just like you would on photobucket, only i won't hold your photos hostage and try to extort money from you when you get to a certain number of photos. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

gstours

Thanks Boss,  or jam into you head crappy audio distractions making you scramble for the controller! ???
   But if I can use it seems like anybody could,   My latest "inventive solution"  is have the audio port ready to plug with earbuds jack.... and crop out the right sidebar with and envelope and that's a truer meaning of "free"...... :'(

Smude442

OK, that didn't work. Let's try this...
22 year member of Uncle Sam's Confused Group!

Decker

Quote from: Smude442 on February 27, 2017, 12:10:17 PM
Well, it looks like I can post a link to my google photos on here, but it links back to my google account...so that is a no-go. I'm sure that there is someway for me link just a single photo from google on here, I just have to apply the old "10% rule" to this problem.  Thus far, unfortunately, I have not been 10% smarter than the equipment I'm working on. 

More tinkering to follow...

Hi, from your Google account, you should be able to download the pic to your local computer, and then use the "additional options" to upload/attach the pic on your local computer to a post on AT. 

By contrast, if you post on AT with a  link to a photo on another site (Google, Photobucket, etc.) there are two technical limitations to making that work:
1) The photo on AT will only show as long as the photo exists on the other site.   If you delete the photo from Google, it will not appear on AT anymore (because the AT instance is just a pointer to the Google one).
2) Google account use https (secure connection).  If you post a link to a Google photo on AT, the ability to see it depends on the viewer having a secure connection (Google account and password).  If that person is not logged onto Chrome with a Google username/password that you have specifically authorized to view the photo, they will see nothing (or a broken link symbol.)  You might be able to see your own pics, while other do not.  I think Photobucket and other similar services are different from Google in that way. They don't require the same authentication; anyone can see the pictures anonymously if they have the link.

Hope that helps. 

Quote from: Smude442 on February 27, 2017, 11:41:20 AM
I don't mean to blow this post up, I'm trying to get my Google photo account to play nice with this site. I have all of my photos on that and would really like to figure out how to post a pic from there so I don't have recreate work on Photobucket.

test 2

I can appreciate that you need to test and you are welcome to do so.  There is an option to delete you own posts, to clean up afterwards.   Cheers, /Joe

Smude442

Thanks Decker!

I ended up using the download function that you described to get the photo of my favorite coffee mug to post. That is what I will be using from here out.

Thank you for the help.
22 year member of Uncle Sam's Confused Group!

Decker

Quote from: Smude442 on February 28, 2017, 03:18:22 PM
Thanks Decker!

I ended up using the download function that you described to get the photo of my favorite coffee mug to post. That is what I will be using from here out.

Thank you for the help.

Great!  Just click the "Remove" link to delete the previous test posts.  Let's see some big ones!  ;D

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Decker on February 27, 2017, 04:10:10 PM
I think Photobucket and other similar services are different from Google in that way. They don't require the same authentication; anyone can see the pictures anonymously if they have the link.
 Cheers, /Joe

For those that use Photobucket, even though your album is private, once you post the link to the pic every photo in the album can be viewed by clicking on the one photo posted. You can then scroll through others on that album. If you don't want people to see every photo you have stored on their site you should have multiple albums or sub albums. If you put one photo in an album that is all that will be seen. If you have ten photos in an album all ten can be accessed by simply clicking on any of the ten photos.

Almost every time I post a photo in a new subject I create a new album, or sub-album, unless, that is, I am re-utilizing a photo that I have previously posted. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Fleet

Why can't i just take them from my pics. and load them like on other web sites.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Fleet on May 23, 2017, 07:27:38 PM

From a previous post by Dominick:

QuoteWe all mostly use a photo hosting site because only the code for the photo resides on the AT site.  If everyone who posted photos actually posted the photo it would not take long for the site to start slowing down because of the amount of file space needed to keep a photo on the site.  So the eventuality of too many postings of photos directly to the site will result in the moderators having to erase the photos not hosted by outside sites like Photobucket.  At least this is the way I understand it.  I'll confirm this with Mike "Bluefish69."  Dominick
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Decker

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 23, 2017, 08:18:21 PM
Quote from: Fleet on May 23, 2017, 07:27:38 PM

From a previous post by Dominick:

QuoteWe all mostly use a photo hosting site because only the code for the photo resides on the AT site.  If everyone who posted photos actually posted the photo it would not take long for the site to start slowing down because of the amount of file space needed to keep a photo on the site.  So the eventuality of too many postings of photos directly to the site will result in the moderators having to erase the photos not hosted by outside sites like Photobucket.  At least this is the way I understand it.  I'll confirm this with Mike "Bluefish69."  Dominick

This is all true.  It is much lighter (less server processing power and storage space) on alantani.com to post photos as links to other sites.  The drawback is that when those photos are no longer available at the same web address (URL), they no longer will show on this site. 

I don't post a lot of photos, but I would like to be sure that they last.  Also, it is a bit frustrating when I find an interesting thread with key photos missing.

In the end, it is something for the moderators to consider, because more storage and processing power will increase operating cost at some point.

mizmo67

Is there a good photo hosting site?

I've seriously had it with Photobucket. Their "new and improved" = hard to get to your own photo library and when you do get there, it's all pop-up spam that then buries it....
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Decker

Quote from: mizmo67 on June 10, 2017, 04:25:42 PM

I've seriously had it with Photobucket. Their "new and improved" = hard to get to your own photo library and when you do get there, it's all pop-up spam that then buries it....

Mo, I wouldn't know what photo site to use; I don't use any myself, but have some suggestions.  Firstly, which browser do you use?  I use Chrome, and have AdBlock running with it to block pop-ups and advertisements, if that is the problem.

If you have a Google account (it is free, and you can use your existing email as an ID) you could try Google Photos. How do you take most of your photos?  Probably there is a way to reference Apple photos in posts, but I would have to look into it?

Also, you can use the Gallery feature on this site to upload photos, to reference in postings.  That way the photos get stored on alantani.com and there is less chance of a photos disappearing from your posting.

What do you think would work best for you?

/Joe

mizmo67

Quote from: Decker on June 10, 2017, 05:46:12 PM

Mo, I wouldn't know what photo site to use; I don't use any myself, but have some suggestions.  Firstly, which browser do you use?  I use Chrome, and have AdBlock running with it to block pop-ups and advertisements, if that is the problem.

If you have a Google account (it is free, and you can use your existing email as an ID) you could try Google Photos. How do you take most of your photos?  Probably there is a way to reference Apple photos in posts, but I would have to look into it?

Also, you can use the Gallery feature on this site to upload photos, to reference in postings.  That way the photos get stored on alantani.com and there is less chance of a photos disappearing from your posting.

/Joe

I don't upload to alantani due to the potential bogging down of the site.

We have multiple google accounts for personal and business, so maybe I'll look into that option.

Browser-wise I use Chrome and Mozilla, depending which computer I'm on...sometimes both at the same time.
I may try the Chrome ad-block first and see if that resolves the issue with Photobucket....

Thanks!
~Mo

mizmo67

Quote from: Decker on June 10, 2017, 05:46:12 PM

/Joe

AdBlock for Chrome was a win! Thankyou Joe!
~Mo

alantani

i signed you up for this site.  you can host your photos here now.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!