17 most popular saltwater fish

Started by Bill B, November 23, 2017, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Not sure if I agree about all of them but somewhat close....they did leave yellowtail, snook, and bonefish off the list.. ???  Bill

https://lineandsight.com/17-popular-saltwater-game-fish/17/?adset={adset}&adid={adid}
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

MarkT

For me in Southern California it's
Wahoo,
Dorado,
Yellowtail,
Bluefin Tuna
Yellowfin Tuna,
Grouper,
Halibut,
Calico Bass,
Sand Bass,
Barracuda,
Bonito,
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Ron Jones

There is NO WAY ON EARTH that rooster fish is more popular than yellowtail. Silver's more popular than kings? Not in any century.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

swill88

Quote from: MarkT on November 23, 2017, 10:53:07 PM
For me in Southern California it's
Wahoo,
Dorado,
Yellowtail,
Bluefin Tuna
Yellowfin Tuna,
Grouper,
Halibut,
Calico Bass,
Sand Bass,
Barracuda,
Bonito,

Good socal list for sure. Think I would bump the barracuda with white sea bass.

Cor

Mostly exotic fish on that list, but I guess it depends on where in the world you are.
Cornelis

Swami805

A so-cal list without albacore??? I know they haven't been around in a while but I don't think anything packs the boats like a good albacore run. Maybe I'm just old.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

I just listed stuff I like to fish for. I haven't gone for WSB for years so I forgot about them. They're definitely a a SoCal target! Albacore, I seem to recall them from my distant past.  Is that like a Unicorn?

The local action recently is all about Bluefin. Personally, I'll take a Wahoo on a long range trip over anything else, except maybe a cow or super cow yellowfin. But I must say that a big local Bluefin would be sweet too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

I'm with you on those big local bluefin but the stars haven't aligned for me to give it a shot.  it's been so sporatic, one day they go the next nada.
White seabass are equally perplexing, one day they're suicidal then next you can see them swimming under the boat and just straight lockjack.
Nothing really beats a good wahoo bite for shear pandimonium though. 100% with you an that one.
my list:
Calico bass
white seabass
Salmon (when they show up here)
albacore (see salmon)
Halibut
Ling cod
Barred surf perch (lotta fun on trout gear)
Yellowtail

George6308

Dominick

My friend Wayne thinks it's trout.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

Well, I guess if "popular" means what the most folks "fish for"......and from what I've seen....in my limited experience....on the gulf coast beaches, and bays.....the "Specks" (speckled sea trout), and even the lowly "whiting", would be right up there ;)! That's not to say that those  folks wouldn't RATHER fish for larger , more "high profile" species....but, without more expensive equipment , and / or access to a boat, and considering that a cheap, Wal-Mart spinning combo, and a few shrimp will get them fishing , anyplace that has beach access  :-\ !?
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ron Jones

I can't believe that striped bass hasn't come up. There ate a whole lot of people that fish for them and even more that dream of it. Sorry, they are "rock fish" when in Rome and all that.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Yeah striped bass, we even get a few here in so cal surf fishing. pretty big ones in some lakes too. Strange they're not on the list

Ron Jones

One of the places I fished as a kid was Silvetwood lake. HUGE stripers in there.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

D.DAY

Is a 8 lbs White Sean Bass even Legal?