Help with reel ID

Started by Crow, November 24, 2017, 07:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I bought a "box lot" of old reels......for one in particular, and, among the other's , was this Penn spinner. The "tag", or "emblem", whatever you want to call it, is missing, and before I try ordering parts, I need some help with ID.  It, obviously, needs a bail....and a bail spring, but I've not torn into it to see what else (probably a drag washer(s) ), and probably won't, until we "get home" in the spring. We only have one more week before we head to "Bama for the winter. Anyway, thanks for any help you can provide !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

Take off the spool and see if there are any markings inside the rotor.
If not, there is usually a model number inside the gear case.
Life is Good!

fordfox

Looks like an old Penn "greenie", possibly a 704

George6308

Penn 710 with a Penn 710Z spool. Bail wire is the give away!

Crow

I pulled the side cover, and, it's stamped "45-710 R", so ....it is a 710 ! Thanks, guys ! Looks like I'll need to keep an eye out on E-Bay for a bail....or a donor reel, as apparently, new parts are unavailable :'(.  I did a quick look, just now......people are pretty "proud" of those, going by what they are asking !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Ruffy

I am guessing a 710 with a Z spool and possibly 704 handle. The nut on the bail isn't seen on the 704 series, I am guessing the bail is cut because it was hitting the handle and they tried to modify it and make it a manual pick up. Looks like it will clean up just fine, I am loving these old Penn spinners!

Cheers,
Andrew

Edit - you guys beat me to it!

George6308

710 & 712 use the same frame, but differant rotor cups. The gear sets are interchangeable.

handi2

That's a great find. It will clean up easily. Only one bearing to deal with.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

happyhooker

Another nice reel maybe saved from the trash. I LOVE buying reels by the boxload; might get some losers but usually get some winners too.

Frank