hulicat charter, december 7th, 2017

Started by alantani, November 24, 2017, 08:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlezama

Just to add on Alan's post
          Swimbaits with 1-2 oz will work great on the port side in shallow water, specially fun if fishing with a bass setup.
          Jigs with teaser fly are killers. Just remove one of the flies from a rig and but the jig in the bottom.
          There is a tackle shop that opens at 5-6 am, so you can get flies and weights. Yellow sign Can't miss it
          Also, some parking spots are limited to 2 hrs, please check signs. The rest of them are fine
          Lingcod bite should be getting hot by now, so bring those diamond jigs!
Hope this helps
Juan     
Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2017, 11:31:43 PM
shrimp flies are ok.  they will provide cut up squid to use on the shrimp flies.  i think the ones available at most stores are 50 pound test.  lighter is ok, too.  8 oz and 12 oz are good weights to have, maybe 4 to 6 of each.  we fished shallow last time, less than 100 feet.  2 ounce jigs are too light.  figure 4 to 8 ounce is good for shallow water, up to 16 ounce for deep, but we did not fish deep last time.  gunny sacks are provided.  i use a ratty old insulated bag with some plastic ice packs.  there is ample parking in the lot.  

the harbor master's office is at the top of this map.  as you walk out onto the pier, the hulicat should be on the third dock on the left hand side.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Half+Moon+Bay,+CA/@37.5023111,-122.4824643,182m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x808f0ba50a19cb0b:0x5efd9cc835e79b54!8m2!3d37.4635519!4d-122.4285862

jurelometer

Thanks guys!

Now just need to know the meet-up or departure time in the AM.

swill88

Quote from: jlezama on December 01, 2017, 01:52:47 AM
Just to add on Alan's post
          Swimbaits with 1-2 oz will work great on the port side in shallow water, specially fun if fishing with a bass setup.
          Jigs with teaser fly are killers. Just remove one of the flies from a rig and but the jig in the bottom.
          There is a tackle shop that opens at 5-6 am, so you can get flies and weights. Yellow sign Can't miss it
          Also, some parking spots are limited to 2 hrs, please check signs. The rest of them are fine
          Lingcod bite should be getting hot by now, so bring those diamond jigs!
Hope this helps
Juan     
Quote from: alantani on November 30, 2017, 11:31:43 PM
shrimp flies are ok.  they will provide cut up squid to use on the shrimp flies.  i think the ones available at most stores are 50 pound test.  lighter is ok, too.  8 oz and 12 oz are good weights to have, maybe 4 to 6 of each.  we fished shallow last time, less than 100 feet.  2 ounce jigs are too light.  figure 4 to 8 ounce is good for shallow water, up to 16 ounce for deep, but we did not fish deep last time.  gunny sacks are provided.  i use a ratty old insulated bag with some plastic ice packs.  there is ample parking in the lot.  

the harbor master's office is at the top of this map.  as you walk out onto the pier, the hulicat should be on the third dock on the left hand side.  

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Half+Moon+Bay,+CA/@37.5023111,-122.4824643,182m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x808f0ba50a19cb0b:0x5efd9cc835e79b54!8m2!3d37.4635519!4d-122.4285862

Great information here... why are the light swimbaits good on the port side?

jlezama

It is because you can leave them drift away from the boat; the light weight and the drift keeps the bait away from the bottom. The faster the drift the better. Slow jigging and the swell will do the rest.

swill88

Forecast is for an offshore wind... just cast into the wind?

What's the most shallow we may fish?

jlezama

We will see, it seems this offshore winds will die of by next thursday. you could fish as shallow as 30 ft, but 60-80 is the norm
Juan

swill88

Planning for Thursday. On the Hulicat website it's mentioned there's an arrangement with Princeton Seafood in Pillar Point Harbor to cook and clean the crab upon our return. I've got a call into Tom for details. 
https://fareharbor.com/embeds/book/hulicat/items/65372/calendar/2017/12/?full-items=yes&flow=5524

Also, here's a wind forecast. Offshore and a bit stiff :( for the 7th. No idea of the accuracy.

https://www.windfinder.com/#10/37.5936/-122.2861/2017-12-08T06:00Z

another view:

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/half_moon_bay_buoy

Steve

jlezama

Hi Steve (and Dominick)
      Forecast on the NOAA website calls for normal conditions actually (slow swell which is great for the drift and moderate winds) Here it is
http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=mtr&zmx=&zmy=&map_x=157&map_y=184&x=157&y=185
Thu
E winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 3 to 4 ft at 14 seconds and S 3 ft at 14 seconds.
So this is actually pretty good conditions. I found the NOAA estimates to be pretty accurate
Juan

jlezama

Hi Guys
      We are set to go! Two days left, feel free to bring your fancy dandy rords and reels and all the jigs you might want. The Halfmoon Baty store has flies and weights (boat has some at decent prices but I believe a little more expensive) 4-8 oz will do but I would take a 10 oz just in case.
      Please go to dock H. Is the last dock on the pier. Then enter your left and find the huli cat, it has a green hull and sometimes a pirate flag so it is hard to miss.
      If you are taking an extra person that you haven't paid for, please bring cash to the boat (15). There are 18 spots (waiting for 5 to be filled up on the day of the charter)
      I wont be there, sadly, but I will send a check to Alan in order to pay for the trip
      Let me know if you have any questions
Juan

swill88

jurelometer

jlezama

be there at 6-630 for a 7 am departure. We will confirm the day before
Juan

alantani

ok, we are a go!  be there at 6am, bring a pound of squid if you can.  i fish whole squid so i always bring alot.  i burn through it pretty fast!  if you have my cell #, text me to let me know you got this.  if you do not have my cell #, send me a pm with your cell # and i will get in touch with you. 

again, be on the boat at 6am.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jlezama

You can find squid at the HMB store and even better... there is a bait vending machine!
Also, Dave (not Hall) please call Alan ASAP, need to confirm!
Juan