Ipe - it rhymes with ebay

Started by oc1, November 25, 2017, 08:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Wow Steve!
Amazing work my Friend. :o
Life is Good!

fishhawk

Native americans in my neck of the woods used this bois d arc wood n made bows for trade.Now adays it's used for duck calls mostly, it's really a beautiful piece of wood when sanded, but a sawmills nightmare!
I know wheres several acres of them are but finding one that was straight 10' ? I can't even imagine it!
Great job steve
Mark

diamonddave

Great job a buddy of mine made 2 bows out of osage orange for his grand kids they shot better than factory.

oc1

I bet you could find two three foot pieces of bow wood and a handle that would make a seven foot rod. 
-steve

sdlehr

I know one thing. If I'm ever lost and abandoned on a tropical island without modern amenities I want to be there with Steve. After a few weeks we'll be eating like kings with home-made fishing rods, line, hey Steve, have you made any hooks yet? Homemade hard rubber for reel sideplates? Are you making your own nickel brass yet? Glad to point out areas of possible growth :)

I tease, but I'm in awe. Consistently. I consider myself handier than most (no offense, Keith), but Steve, you put my skills to shame!

Just think of the home projects you could do if you had been trained in medicine! (Just kidding, that's my sick sense of humor coming through, it's Sunday morning and I'm running filterless.)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

fishhawk

No doubt! He can make something out of nothing! Wished you would have been around when I was growing up to help with all the crap me and my brothers tore up!
Mark

The Great Maudu

Steve that is awesome. I've wanted to try that for years but just couldn't commit the time. If you don't have it, get the book Salt Water Fishing Tackle by Major. It gives a complete run down on woods used and construction techniques for wooden rods.

oc1

I'll look for that book Mike.  We try to refrain from buying and more paper books because the house if full of them and they become a burden.  But sometimes you do what you have to do.  Speaking of books, congratulations on you new role as the ORCA librarian Sid and the nice write-up in the Reel News.
-steve

Tightlines667

Quote from: oc1 on November 26, 2017, 08:37:53 PM
I'll look for that book Mike.  We try to refrain from buying and more paper books because the house if full of them and they become a burden.  But sometimes you do what you have to do.  Speaking of books, congratulations on you new role as the ORCA librarian Sid and the nice write-up in the Reel News.
-steve

X2!

Totally forgot to congratulate you.  I haven't gotten around to reading my November Reel News yet.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

twotone

That's some talent and patience Steve. Along with a very cool project to spend time on..
twotone

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on November 26, 2017, 08:37:53 PM
Speaking of books, congratulations on you new role as the ORCA librarian Sid and the nice write-up in the Reel News.
-steve

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 26, 2017, 09:30:49 PM
X2!

Totally forgot to congratulate you.  I haven't gotten around to reading my November Reel News yet.
Quote from: Dominick on November 26, 2017, 10:46:57 PM
Congratulations Sid.  Dominick
Quote from: Crow on November 27, 2017, 12:31:54 AM
Congratulations, Sid !!
Thanks, guys. I'm currently organizing the library with the plan that it will one day (very) soon be downloadable to all ORCA members. That part is close to being done. Then I have to get it digitized and searchable. That will take awhile. There are over 1700 documents and hundreds of thousands of pages of catalogs, schematics and sales brochures going back to the late 1800's. Thankfully, it's all digitized, although some of it is in better shape (higher quality scans) than others. The idea is to make the full contents of the library available to every ORCA member as a benefit of membership. This should encourage more reel research. To say the library is full of information is an understatement, but it is far from complete, and with ORCA being the only organization of its type in the Western hemisphere it is important to try to make the library as complete as possible. If anyone has materials they wish to donate, either in hardcopy form (I have a scanner and can return scanned documents) or digital form, I'm accepting donations to the ORCA library. Please PM me if you have something to donate so that I may make sure we do not already have it. Nothing, I repeat, NOTHING is too small or insignificant, from old trade catalogs to sales brochures to manufacturer catalogs to schematics to patents - EVERYTHING fishing reel related is fair game. If it's related to fishing reels and it's printed, I'm probably looking for it. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming. This thread was about Steve's ipe rod. Thank you for your time :).

Sid
Sid Lehr

alantani

not sure who's server it will be downloaded to, but a second copy might be good as a back up.  check with decker.  we might have the bandwidth here to host a back up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sdlehr

Quote from: alantani on November 27, 2017, 04:25:08 AM
not sure who's server it will be downloaded to, but a second copy might be good as a back up.  check with decker.  we might have the bandwidth here to host a back up. 
Alan, I don't have the liberty to do anything like that with the ORCA library. Right now it's on my computer, a thumb drive, and a few ORCA officers computers, and probably other places I don't know about. The Library will be free to ORCA members, not AT members. But AT members can become ORCA members at www.orcaonline.org ! There's a whole lot to fishing reel history if anyone is interested.

Sid
Sid Lehr