114HL Anniversary Editions

Started by Shark Hunter, November 26, 2017, 04:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Fred provided me with a new ring for this reel as it was cracked on the handle side.
I put it on as soon as I received it, but it still wasn't a perfect fit.
I've been putting it off because I knew what awaited me.
I tried the file method, but after 30 minutes of filing and the outside handle ring still didn't quite fit, I broke out the dremel with a fine stone wheel. Finished up the handle plate, but I knew the non handle plate would need attention too.
I couldn't remove the inner ring, so I put it in the freezer. Then went to town on that plate too.
I'll be blowing some red boogers tomorrow. ;D
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Maxed Out

I usually use the lug as a lever to get the inner ring started off, then I can get under it with thin screwdriver

That case fits those 2 reels just right !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Army_of_One

Those are gorgeous!  :D  It does take hours to hand file the sideplate.  I'm scared to take a dremel to it though. 
I normally pull the lug and turn a screwdriver in the hole to start the inner rings. 
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Those rings were so tight, no conventional method would work.
The lug would not budge them from the plate.
I took my time and got them off without cutting my fingers for a change. ;)
Life is Good!

Tiddlerbasher

STRIPER LOU

Those look great Mr. D! All cased up and ready to go.

No doubt, those rings can be a pain. I've had a few where I was wondering if they were going to come off at all without ruining something.

Nice work!

..................Lou

Crow

Great job ! And as sweet as they look in that case....I'll bet they will look better on a rod !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

Good work daron, as usual, I like the cases, pitty postage is so hi to aussie, or I would have some myself, thanks for showing, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

foakes

Great skills, Daron --

Master at work...

Those cases look very capable with the foam cutouts and egg carton tops.

I generally have trouble with the 114 red plates/rings about 1/3 of the time.  Maybe they swell more, or? -- not sure...

The quickest method for me when all 4 rings need filing -- and it is more than just a few laps around with a hand file -- is to use my 1" stationary variable speed belt sander with the metal backing plate.

Just use the edge of the belt and the metal backer for a guide, and rotate the plate a few times while lightly taking a little off the surface -- until the ring is a perfect fit.  Just takes a few minutes for all (4) rings.

Nice job, Daron!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

The reels are masterworks (like anything of Mr. Shark's) but who makes that cool case? Looks like it would be suitable for firearms as well... is it lockable?  8)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

twotone

Nice work as always and an awesome presentation in that case.

For stubborn side plate rings , Ive been using a watchmakers back cover tools for removing the battery in a watch .  Found on the Fleabay.
The tools have safe edges unlike the other methods used. Just like sideplate rings removing the watch cover is a PITA.
twotone

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Aiala on November 26, 2017, 04:50:06 PM
The reels are masterworks (like anything of Mr. Shark's) but who makes that cool case? Looks like it would be suitable for firearms as well... is it lockable?  8)

~A~
Joe is selling the cases Aiala.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23271.msg259581#msg259581
Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: Aiala on November 26, 2017, 04:50:06 PM

~A~
Aiala the cases are perfect for legal carrying and yes they are lockable.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.