12/0 and Harnell

Started by The Great Maudu, November 26, 2017, 04:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Maudu

John the one on the left is also a 12/0. I know it looks so much smaller. The 12/0 on the right immediately caught my eye and piqued my curiosity when I first saw it. Something looked different about it and when compared to a standard 12/0 there's definitely a difference.

1badf350

What do the post lengths measure on each reel? Can you reel the line off the new reel onto another reel to look at the spool? I'm staring at that pic like they have boobs.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

The obituary says Colonel Johnson had a complete machine shop and made a fully functional scale model coal fired steam engine tractor over four years.  So, anything is possible here.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Quote from: 54bullseye on November 27, 2017, 07:44:11 PM
Is the one on the left a 10/0 ?   
There is no aluminum spool made for the 10/0.
That reel has a Keta Krank on it, so I'm pretty sure it came from me.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Quote from: 1badf350 on November 27, 2017, 08:35:25 PM
What do the post lengths measure on each reel? Can you reel the line off the new reel onto another reel to look at the spool? I'm staring at that pic like they have boobs.

that's funny right there '

The Great Maudu

Shark Hunter you are correct. That is a Reel you did for me over a year ago.
I hadn't really thought about it but if the 12/0 and the 14/0 are the same width then it would be an easy matter to beef up the 12 with the wider, bigger reel stand.

Shark Hunter

I didn't even realize they used the same posts.
According to Scotts, they do.
I need to check the stand bolt pattern.
Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

It's much wider as you can see. That's why that 12/0 fits a Reel seat made for 14/16's. Pretty cool. But wait, would the screw holes match up on a 14/0 and 12/0 plate?

Shark Hunter

That is what I need to find out. Film at 11. ;)
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I'm out of 14/0 stands, but I have plenty of 14/0 reels and 12/0 parts.
Sure enough, a 12/0 and 14/0 stand have the same bolt pattern and will interchange.

Life is Good!

The Great Maudu

The genius of Penn. It sure makes for one stud looking reel.

Shark Hunter

You learn something new every day brother.
Thank You. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

So, he either turned down a 14/0 spool to fit 12/0 plates or widened a 12/0 spool.  If the spool is turned down then there is more spool shaft sticking out.  Are 12/0 and 14/0 journals the same?  To widen the spool.... well that's just plain difficult unless the flanges can be removed and put on a 14/0 spool shaft.  Sorry Mike, but you sort of have to strip the line off and pull the spool or it's an unsolved mystery.  You started it man.  :)
-steve

Alto Mare

Yup!, that line needs to come off, its the only way you'll see what's going on.
That is an aluminum spool, I don't believe it has been cut in the center and a bushing was added to make up the needed room, but you never know.
Spool shaft could be pulled on those. I have done it on the 4/0 with no problem, but you would still need to machine the spool and extend that shaft.
If by a remote chance that reel came from Penn, you're sitting on a lot of dough, but I doubt it :-\

The hole patter is the same, but the cut plate is of the same thickness. So, the 12/0, 14/0, or 16/0 isn't necessarily stronger than the 10/0.
There have always been few parts on Penn reels that could be swapped on different reels, if you look hard enough you might even find an International stand that will fit a Senator :o.

Cool reel Mike obviously you have some good connection. Thanks for  sharing your treasures with us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

The Great Maudu

Here's a pic of the Colonels reel (with line) and a 14/0. They appear to be the same width and Daron says the crossbars are the same. What I can see of the spool, it appears to be chromed brass. I think this is simply a case of switching out a 12/0 stand for a 14/0 stand. The Shark Hunter is coming over to the house when I get back from Oklahoma next week so if he deems we need to remove the line we will. Although, it's laid on so perfectly I don't know if I could get it all back on. It is filled to the brim so much so I don't think it was ever intended for fishing.