Am I nuts?

Started by Swami805, November 26, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I'm an arborist (tree guy) by trade and we take down a lot of big trees many times with things underneath that we can't damage. We use pulleys fiddle blocks etc to lower material and gain a mechanical advantage. One pass thru lessens the load by 50% making the job of the man on the end of the line much easier. I've always wondered if this could be applied to fishing using roller guides.
Here's a few pictures of what I was thinking. If there was a load of 50 at the end of the rod the load at the reel would be 25lbs. (the spool of line would be the reel). Does this make sense to anyone one?  The guide design  would need to be different and casting wouldn't be possible but cutting the load on the reel would have to be a good thing right?
Anyone ever seen this tried before?
Am I nuts?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

swill88

Doesn't one of the pulleys need to move?

Like the idea!

Keta

Quote from: swill88 on November 26, 2017, 05:00:08 PM
Doesn't one of the pulleys need to move?

Yes. 

The set up in the photo still is only "1 part of line" and this only adds more friction.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Swami805

The line goes over the top 2 pulleys,back thru the top rod end pulley and out to the under the last pulley to the tip. These guides wouldn't work because the line rubs on the guide frames at a few points. Just to give a idea of how the pulley wheels could work. The top pulley at the rod tip end would bear most of the load. Would need a different design but was trying to show the principal involved. Or I'm just nuts?

Swami805

By the way Lee hope you're feeling better

Crow

without one movable pulley, there is no "mechanical advantage"...all you are doing is "changing direction".....6" of line "in" = 6" of line "out".
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Keta

Quote from: Swami805 on November 26, 2017, 05:26:33 PM
By the way Lee hope you're feeling better

Much better, still pain but no more blood.

Crow is correct but you are not crazy, look into what Edison had to say about "failure".  And you should see my scrap tub full of "failures" that sometimes lead to useable parts.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

That's the kind of thinking that can get results.  I don't know enough about it to comment except to say it is good thinking if you can get it to work.  What do you engineers on this site think?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on November 26, 2017, 07:15:39 PM
That's the kind of thinking that can get results.  I don't know enough about it to comment except to say it is good thinking if you can get it to work.  What do you engineers on this site think?  Dominick

This rigger says it is impossible for this to work as there is no mechanical advantage.  Two or more parts of line need to move to get the mechanical advantage.  Pull 1' with 2 parts of line and the load moves 6".

This might help some of the lawyers here.... ;D

https://sciencing.com/mechanical-advantage-block-tackle-6120885.html

Mark Twain

bill19803

trhe force  multiplication   comes   from  the  pull (force)  moving more then  the  load.  or  in  this  case  the  line  from the reel  moving   more  then  the  bait  In  this  case it doesnt happen  so  no mechanical  advantage.
The same applies   to gear  ratio  in reels--  the  force distance  traveled  ( distance   the handle  knob  moves)  vs  distance  line  to  bait  moves   gives  the  gear ratio   and  thus  mechanical  advantage.  You   dont need to   count  teeth    etc   to  figure  it out   just  use tape measure.

RowdyW

Don't turn your back on the squirrels.  ;D ;D

PacRat

I use to rig towers. A stationary pulley will only re-direct a force. Adding movable pulleys (or blocks) multiplies the force. Sometimes we didn't have a winch available and would use the rental car to haul the load up a tower. One time I was working at a university radio station (600' tall) and did not have enough runway (200') to haul the load all the way up the tower so I had to triple-block the load line. That was a very tricky (touchy) set-up and I had to be extremely careful...granny gear power with highway gear speed.
-Mike

Swami805

Thanks Rudy,We have some sneaky ones around here.
I'll have a look at some of the blocks at work. We also have one on the crane.

Dominick

Thanks Lee that makes it clear as mud.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on November 26, 2017, 08:21:08 PM
Thanks Lee that makes it clear as mud.  Dominick

Any time, you can return the favor by explaning current CA gun laws to me.

Lets me try again.  Put a 3' bar on a fulcrum with 1' on the load side, push down a foot  on the 2' side and the load moves up 6". You use 1/2 of the force to move the load due to mechanical advantage.  Same for line travel, 2 parts of line gives you rougly 2:1.  The rig in the photo only 1 part of line.

Mark Twain