330n question

Started by Chuck750ss, November 27, 2017, 02:20:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

happyhooker

That's doesn't sound terribly bad for a 330 in good shape.  Let us know what you think after awhile.  I have been satisfied with a 220 (not"N")(my 1st DAM Q) I fished a few times this summer.

Frank

Chuck750ss

Quote from: happyhooker on December 01, 2017, 09:27:12 PM
That's doesn't sound terribly bad for a 330 in good shape.  Let us know what you think after awhile.  I have been satisfied with a 220 (not"N")(my 1st DAM Q) I fished a few times this summer.

Frank
Will do. Couple more just ended with no bids for a couple of dollars less. Probably keep it even if I don't like it. From what I have seen, the little 110 is in high demand.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 02, 2017, 02:38:43 AM

Frank
Will do. Couple more just ended with no bids for a couple of dollars less. Probably keep it even if I don't like it. From what I have seen, the little 110 is in high demand.

That's not unique just to the smaller Dams like the Microlite, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001, etc. Seems like any of the quality made older ultra lights seem to bring a fairly high amount.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 02, 2017, 05:27:39 AM
Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 02, 2017, 02:38:43 AM

Frank

Yes I agree. I did get lucky a few months ago and picked up a mint 420ss at less than the going price. Just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

That's not unique just to the smaller Dams like the Microlite, 110, 110N, 1000, 1001, etc. Seems like any of the quality made older ultra lights seem to bring a fairly high amount.

Chuck750ss

Reel came in today. First impressions. It is in better shape than the pictures showed. It is very smooth. Notice the rotor wobble. Nothing terrible bad. Probably will not notice when it is on a rod. Do wonder why the Germans did not balance these. All my old Mitchell 300 made in France are balanced.
Overall first impression is I am quite impressed. And that ain't easy to do.
Will report back after I clean and lube.
Will be adding more dam reels to my collection.

Chuck750ss

BTW, what are the differences between the 330 and the 330n? Fred stated that that the 330 is bettter. And I do believe Fred knows what he is talking about!

Chuck750ss

And one more DAM question. ;D Has anyone experiment with balancing a rotor on one of these reels?

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 02, 2017, 05:59:04 PM
And one more DAM question. ;D Has anyone experiment with balancing a rotor on one of these reels?

Yes, there is some discussion here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21460.msg232868#msg232868

Always remember, though, that spooled line and lure or fish resistance can make quite of bit of difference in the actual balance. Just because it feels balanced without a load doesn't mean it will perform well under stress or vice versa.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Chuck750ss

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 02, 2017, 06:12:46 PM

Yes, there is some discussion here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21460.msg232868#msg232868

Always remember, though, that spooled line and lure or fish resistance can make quite of bit of difference in the actual balance. Just because it feels balanced without a load doesn't mean it will perform well under stress or vice versa.

10-4.

festus

Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 02, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
BTW, what are the differences between the 330 and the 330n? Fred stated that that the 330 is bettter. And I do believe Fred knows what he is talking about!
I don't have a 330 or 330N, but do have the 220 and 220N which are similar to compare.  The two obvious differences are in the anti-reverse assembly and bail assembly.  The anti-reverse in the 330 is much stronger than the 330N.  The bail mechanisms are completely different also.  The N series bail mechanisms are much more difficult to work on because of a teeny c-clip that's a pain.  But the 330N has a cam that will let you adjust strength of bail return. 

Never had a problem with rotor balancing, once the reel is mounted on the rod and spooled with line, the wobble has always gone away.

festus

One more thing, the 330 can be switched from left hand retrieve to right hand retrieve.  You can't do that with a 330N.  Also the 330 has three side plate screws, the 330N only has one.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: festus on December 02, 2017, 08:42:07 PM
One more thing, the 330 can be switched from left hand retrieve to right hand retrieve.  You can't do that with a 330N.  Also the 330 has three side plate screws, the 330N only has one.

Thanks

happyhooker

Quote from: Chuck750ss on December 02, 2017, 05:57:12 PM
...what are the differences between the 330 and the 330n?

On the 330, the A/R lever is right behind the handle; on the 330N, it is a lever under the body right behind the rotor. I do not know the complete interchangeability of parts between them, but understand there are many that do NOT interchange.

There was a thread on this site where one of the members talked about his technique in balancing rotors;  I remember replying to it 3-4 months ago or so.

Frank

Chuck750ss

Follow up. Disassembled, cleaned and lubed. Very impressed with the quality and craftsmanship. No telling what it would cost today if they were still making them.
  All the parts were in excellent condition. You could tell it had been used, but that's all. The grease in it was one of the old yellow grease types. Don't know if it was the original or not . A bit stiff, but not as stiff as a couple of the older Penns I have cleaned.(420+750) The pinion  pinion bearing? Built to last. Gears and bushings looked like new after I cleaned them. Simple. No hidden springs to go flying off into the sunset. (Lost one out of a pistol one time. In my living room. Still lost after 20 or so years!)
Going to let wife use it for bass fishing.
One thing. Line roller does not seem to be turning. So smooth I can't tell for sure.
I believe it would last many,many years with a little tlc.
I think my next one will be a Super. May be awhile. I just purchased a 5001 and another 700 baitcaster for my Christmas presents. My reel budget is pretty much depleted for now.