Hello from West MI

Started by Gobi King, November 29, 2017, 06:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on November 29, 2017, 10:06:33 PM
  Howdy !!

Crow, Howdy back to ya :-)
last year I surf fished in Dauphin Island on the west end, then I went back for some gigging for flounder, I love fishing off the Ceder Point Pier.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on November 29, 2017, 11:22:57 PM
Hi from the UK :)

Tiddlerbasher, Hi to you to Sir. What species do you fish for on the other side of the pond?
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 29, 2017, 11:38:36 PM
Welcome stockrex, come on in and enjoy the ride.

Sal, from Pennsylvania

Sal,

Thanks!
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Keta on November 29, 2017, 11:41:42 PM
HI,

I haven't heard Buck Perry's name in a while.

Keta,

I belong to a SpoonPlugging club here in Grand Rapids MI and we are fortunate to have quite  a few of members who have have fished with Mr Perry. I am the Official keeper of the archives for our club :-).
Fichigan

Gobi King

Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on November 30, 2017, 12:58:32 AM
Welcome Shibs,

I'm in the Pensacola area. Gulf Breeze.

Keith

Good deal, I will over around new years, next few weeks I will be over in Mobile :-)
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 30, 2017, 01:21:17 AM
Welcome Shibs. I have no idea of the fishing there but can surely help with your reels.

Bryan,

Thanks, I have a few old reels I have gotten as hand downs from my club buddies, looking forward to my first rebuild!
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 30, 2017, 05:11:27 AM
Welcome aboard Shibs!
Pensacola is a great area to fish.
I drive all the way there from Kentucky two or three times a year.
Daron

Daron,
Amen,
I agree, the girls and I are planning to go down there from MI often to fish  ;D
Fichigan

Crow

Wife and I are "heading south" in the morning....(2 day trip for us "old folks") and I hope to be standing on the beach with a rod in my hand on Monday morning, Shibs ! I do fish the west end, but have the best luck at the St. Stevens Street, or Surf Court access areas. I do walk the east end beach, every morning (we stay at the DI campground), and almost always carry a rod, so I can toss a few by the rock jetties by the fort. That area *was* called the "flounder hole", but, the "beach rejuvenation project" 2 years ago , pretty well ruined the "hole" :(.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

Quote from: stockrex on December 01, 2017, 04:08:52 PM
Quote from: foakes on November 29, 2017, 09:55:01 PM
Welcome aboard, Shibs --

Best,

Fred

Fred,
Thanks, your office is uber organized, how deep are those little parts bins/drawers(plastic)?

Hi Shib --

They are just standard organizers -- chock full of Penn, Mitchell, and DAM Quick parts.  

Other parts are in other places -- I just prefer to keep the most used tiny parts quickly obtainable on the bench.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Welcome, Shibs, from Minnesota.

Frank

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on December 01, 2017, 06:54:57 PM
     Wife and I are "heading south" in the morning....(2 day trip for us "old folks") and I hope to be standing on the beach with a rod in my hand on Monday morning, Shibs ! I do fish the west end, but have the best luck at the St. Stevens Street, or Surf Court access areas. I do walk the east end beach, every morning (we stay at the DI campground), and almost always carry a rod, so I can toss a few by the rock jetties by the fort. That area *was* called the "flounder hole", but, the "beach rejuvenation project" 2 years ago , pretty well ruined the "hole" :(.

Crow, safe travels, I am Mobile now for a couple of days.

Is there parking at the south end of St Stevens St?

So fishing is not good around the DI campground jetties by the fort?

Tight lines,
Fichigan

Gobi King

I switch my username to "Gobi King"

I believe is accurately reflects my fishing prowess!

Fichigan

Crow

Quote from: Gobi King on December 04, 2017, 07:47:49 PM
Quote from: Crow on December 01, 2017, 06:54:57 PM

Crow, safe travels, I am Mobile now for a couple of days.

Is there parking at the south end of St Stevens St?

So fishing is not good around the DI campground jetties by the fort?

Tight lines,
Well, I got quite a surprise ! We arrived here Sunday, about noon, and discovered that ALL the west end access points are closed off ! 3'-5' feet of sand over the streets down there, and, they  are still waiting for FEMA inspectors/ money, to begin any clean-up. So, the only fishing IS around the east end Rock Jetties, and the east end (campground) beach. I got bait (shrimp) today, and plan on fishing , tomorrow.....I guess I REALLY come for the fishing, and not the "catching", anyway, so there are still "good times" ahead !  Three guys went out sheephead fishing (by boat) today, around the bridge pilings.....fished for over 5 hours, and had ONE sheep head (and a SMALL one, at that !) between them !
    Hopefully, I can get a few blue crabs in the trap, and start getting a few drum....they really seem to like half a blue crab.....anything very big is *in edible* (at least as far as I'm concerned !) but, man, they sure are fun to catch !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Quote from: foakes on December 01, 2017, 06:56:22 PM
Quote from: stockrex on December 01, 2017, 04:08:52 PM
Quote from: foakes on November 29, 2017, 09:55:01 PM
Welcome aboard, Shibs --

Best,

Fred

Fred,
Thanks, your office is uber organized, how deep are those little parts bins/drawers(plastic)?

Hi Shib --

They are just standard organizers -- chock full of Penn, Mitchell, and DAM Quick parts.  

Other parts are in other places -- I just prefer to keep the most used tiny parts quickly obtainable on the bench.

Best,

Fred

Fred,
Very organized, I saw reading your thread on your small tackle workshop :-).

Homedepot has HDX brand parts boxes 2 pack on sale, I am going to get a few of those.
Now to find some of these parts drawer cubbies.
Fichigan