Hello from West MI

Started by Gobi King, November 29, 2017, 06:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on December 04, 2017, 09:38:44 PM
Quote from: Gobi King on December 04, 2017, 07:47:49 PM
Quote from: Crow on December 01, 2017, 06:54:57 PM
     Wife and I are "heading south" in the morning....(2 day trip for us "old folks") and I hope to be standing on the beach with a rod in my hand on Monday morning, Shibs ! I do fish the west end, but have the best luck at the St. Stevens Street, or Surf Court access areas. I do walk the east end beach, every morning (we stay at the DI campground), and almost always carry a rod, so I can toss a few by the rock jetties by the fort. That area *was* called the "flounder hole", but, the "beach rejuvenation project" 2 years ago , pretty well ruined the "hole" :(.

Crow, safe travels, I am Mobile now for a couple of days.

Is there parking at the south end of St Stevens St?

So fishing is not good around the DI campground jetties by the fort?

Tight lines,
Well, I got quite a surprise ! We arrived here Sunday, about noon, and discovered that ALL the west end access points are closed off ! 3'-5' feet of sand over the streets down there, and, they  are still waiting for FEMA inspectors/ money, to begin any clean-up. So, the only fishing IS around the east end Rock Jetties, and the east end (campground) beach. I got bait (shrimp) today, and plan on fishing , tomorrow.....I guess I REALLY come for the fishing, and not the "catching", anyway, so there are still "good times" ahead !  Three guys went out sheephead fishing (by boat) today, around the bridge pilings.....fished for over 5 hours, and had ONE sheep head (and a SMALL one, at that !) between them !
    Hopefully, I can get a few blue crabs in the trap, and start getting a few drum....they really seem to like half a blue crab.....anything very big is *in edible* (at least as far as I'm concerned !) but, man, they sure are fun to catch !!

Yeah, that end of DI got the grunt of the last storms, I was there that week. Watched some youtube vids on the surge. scary stuff.

How will fishing be with the cold front and rain that came in today? I did not get time to drive down to DI last night. I am going to bring my gear back with me in a few weeks.

Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Crow

It's too , darn "nasty" out there for me, today ! I did score 3 nice whiting, and 3 decent "sand trout" at the Campground beach, yesterday morning.....enough for supper, and a fish sandwich for today's lunch. I doubt there will be much caught in the next couple days......pretty "choppy" out there for the "boaters", and , with the front overhead, the surf fishing won't be very good....although, with the "gale" that's blowing from the north at my back...I could *probably* cast a half mile ! LOL !
    Funny, but, at this time of year, 51 degrees in Illinois is almost a heat wave.....and lots of folks don't even wear a jacket.....but 51 degrees, here on the island has us all sitting next to the fire ???
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on December 06, 2017, 07:30:50 PM
     It's too , darn "nasty" out there for me, today ! I did score 3 nice whiting, and 3 decent "sand trout" at the Campground beach, yesterday morning.....enough for supper, and a fish sandwich for today's lunch. I doubt there will be much caught in the next couple days......pretty "choppy" out there for the "boaters", and , with the front overhead, the surf fishing won't be very good....although, with the "gale" that's blowing from the north at my back...I could *probably* cast a half mile ! LOL !
    Funny, but, at this time of year, 51 degrees in Illinois is almost a heat wave.....and lots of folks don't even wear a jacket.....but 51 degrees, here on the island has us all sitting next to the fire ???

Lol, it did get down to 41F in Mobile, I had to put on a light jacket ;-)
My girls are out playing in the tshirts when it is 31F outside and sunny. The body get used to it I guess.

That good fishing??  Are the sand trouts good eating?

Tight lines.
Fichigan

Crow

This chunk of beach is "probably" the worst for fishing....but, right now it's the only game in town !  I think I just happened to hit it right, as all 6 "keepers" came in less than an hour , I hope the "clean up" goes quickly at the west end , so I can fish some "better territory" !

Sand trout (or, "White Trout") aren't my *favorite* (the flesh is a bit on the "soft" side...same as speckled trout) but they are OK, fresh....they don't freeze well.  It's another crappy day....an all day(so far !) drizzle, and only 42 degrees, and I've been drinking coffee and playing cards in the Rec room, all day !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on December 08, 2017, 08:44:19 PM
     This chunk of beach is "probably" the worst for fishing....but, right now it's the only game in town !  I think I just happened to hit it right, as all 6 "keepers" came in less than an hour , I hope the "clean up" goes quickly at the west end , so I can fish some "better territory" !

Sand trout (or, "White Trout") aren't my *favorite* (the flesh is a bit on the "soft" side...same as speckled trout) but they are OK, fresh....they don't freeze well.  It's another crappy day....an all day(so far !) drizzle, and only 42 degrees, and I've been drinking coffee and playing cards in the Rec room, all day !

Sand Trout = White Trout, gotcha, I have tried some white trout, it was good.

Guess where this is at  ;D

Fichigan

Crow

Well, HERE'S what I see, this morning !! :o

At least the sun is out !  It's been two full days of crap, now, it'll just be "cold front clear skies" for a while

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on December 09, 2017, 02:31:14 PM

At least the sun is out !  It's been two full days of crap, now, it'll just be "cold front clear skies" for a while

Yikes, that is s-n-o-w.

I bet the locals were very excited!

Can't believe how cold it will be down south, I get to stay home in MI this week and shovel snow. We have 10 inches on the ground already and more coming.

If you it keeps up, you guys will be able to ice fish in DI  ;D
Fichigan

Gobi King

Quote from: Crow on December 09, 2017, 02:31:14 PM

Hey Crow,
I am flying down after Christmas, where should I fishing, any suggestions please?
Fichigan