Tiburon Newell 220 Conversion Kits?

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, November 29, 2017, 11:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tiburon has asked us to find out if there would be any interest in a 220 frame/spool for those who would like to narrow their 229 or 235 Newells, or for those who have C or S series reels who would like to replace that awful set up with those long screws that go through the bars.   As you probably know, the Tiburon spools are super heavy duty, machined out of a solid block of aluminum.  The complete kit would be $130 for the frame, spool and rod clamp kit.  Please let us know if that might be of interest.

Thanks,

Randy

Swami805

Don't they make frames already? I like the graphite spools ok but aluminum would be nice too. A narrowed 235 would be cool.  I'd likely get 1 kit maybe red or or purple to match some plates I have.
How about a narrow 600 kit?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

RUSTY OLD COLT

I would be interested in a kit , what colors would the frame and spools be in ?

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on November 29, 2017, 11:47:35 PM
Don't they make frames already? I like the graphite spools ok but aluminum would be nice too. A narrowed 235 would be cool.  I'd likely get 1 kit maybe red or or purple to match some plates I have.
How about a narrow 600 kit?

Sheridan, they already make frames but they have never made a 220 spool.  A narrow 600 kit would be great, but I don't think that there are very many Newell 600 series reels in California.  Most of them seem to have wound up along the Gulf Coast and in Hawaii, and they are not as dialed into narrow reels as we are here, so it might be hard to sell enough kits to make it work.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on November 29, 2017, 11:53:54 PM
  I would be interested in a kit , what colors would the frame and spools be in ?

The frames come in silver, black, red, purple, electric blue, cobalt blue and dark green.  I would guess that their standard spool color would be black, but if there is enought interest and they did decide to make a run of spools, you could probably special order a complete kit (frame and spool) in any of the frame colors.

Bryan Young

I like the idea but I'm not sure if spools will be needed, especially if it's heavier. If they can lighten it to be similar in weight to a graphite spool, that would be an awesome casting spool.

One that may be more popular would be a 322 kit. Also with a lighter spool than Stock 322 spool. I know they can do it. They've done it for the TN40s and TN50s.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Brendan

Like the lighter spools myself. Not entirely for casting but bait action.
Tight lines, Brendan.

CooldadE

I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Swami805

A light aluminum 220 spool would be great.
Maybe a 633 size, all I see is those super wide ones.
i have a 322 frame and spool kit, would be nice if the spool was lighter but still casts pretty well.

TEAMFISH

Why not, anything would be better than nothing. Parts are getting harder to find. They need to step up their production runs, been waiting for a 533NK kit for months now.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: TEAMFISH on December 02, 2017, 01:35:06 AM
Why not, anything would be better than nothing. Parts are getting harder to find. They need to step up their production runs, been waiting for a 533NK kit for months now.

Do you want me to see if I can scrounge up an N533NK for you?

Swami805

Bet you could sell a few to go with bryans new plates. Makes one nice narrow reel

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Swami805 on December 02, 2017, 04:51:35 AM
Bet you could sell a few to go with bryans new plates. Makes one nice narrow reel

Good idea Sheridan!

TEAMFISH

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on December 02, 2017, 04:38:48 AM
Quote from: TEAMFISH on December 02, 2017, 01:35:06 AM

Do you want me to see if I can scrounge up an N533NK for you?
i actually reached out to you a couple months ago. I was looking for all black, you had some kits but not in black. I talked to Bob at Tiburon and he said they may have a production run in January. I'm not in a hurry, just one of many little projects sitting on the bench.

r8rs4lf

I actually was looking for a black or silver 533 narrow kit as well to use with Bryan's side plates. Tiburon did not have them. Not even to mix and match. I hit you up as well Randy with no luck on the color I wanted. Luckily Bryan was kind enough to sell me his kit. He did have a black frame with a silver spool or vice versa. Might try to hit him up, see if he still has it and wants to sell.