My Critter Gitter

Started by xjchad, November 30, 2017, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

After 6 skunkings in a row fishing 2 long rods each time, I've decided to put together a critter rod to try and get some kind of action while the big bait is soaking.  I already had a vintage 9' Fenwick that I picked up at a yard sale for $20 and I just found this little Penn Beachmaster 155 for $15 on Craigslist.

My plan is to build out this little reel to be bullet proof for critters, but still handle a medium size bat if it happens.  I'm adding an aluminum spool, custom adjustable mag, Carbontex drag stack, stainless sleeve, power handle and knob, upgraded stainless screws, and stiffening the frame with a Newell base and custom spacer bar braces that I 3D printed.

Here's what it looks like before disassembly.

I'll add to this post as I get the parts and begin the build.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

an undersung fav. you had my attention BEFORE you said 3-D bars...now i really want to see this. what material? and didn't you just sell a 980 which is the same size :)

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on November 30, 2017, 10:27:07 PM
an undersung fav. you had my attention BEFORE you said 3-D bars...now i really want to see this. what material? and didn't you just sell a 980 which is the same size :)

I haven't sold the 980 yet, still trying.  It's a great reel, I love fishing my 990!  But the 980 is in too nice of shape and has all the matching accessories, I couldn't bear to fish it.  I'd rather it go to a collector.

The 3D printed spacer bars are more of a support for the stainless bars.  I played around with the idea of making them completely 3D printed, but I'm still not sure that is the best way to go.  What I'm trying first is a support that works with the original bars.  The first set is PLA, but if they work like I think, I'll make a set out of ABS.  I think this route will still add a lot of rigidity, but not much extra weight.

Sneak peak:

handi2

Those bars will be strong and look cool. Keep us posted please.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Swami805

That is a nice looking cross bar
I have a 155 narrowed with a Newell kit but I put a 24-49 handle on it. Kind of like a power handle much longer blade than the stock one. Just one way to skin a cat
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

That's a cool handle option too since it still has the counterweight!

Gfish

I'd be real interested in the "custom adjustable mag"! Please, more info n' pictures if possible.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

thorhammer

Yes you have started something here Chad! I'll be needing 10 sets of those of those bars when you dial it in. 😎😎👍👍. Actually I'm serious if you get around to producing a few.  They'll fit Squidder and 200 Surfmaster too. 

xjchad

Quote from: Gfish on December 01, 2017, 02:48:54 AM
I'd be real interested in the "custom adjustable mag"! Please, more info n' pictures if possible.
Gfish

I did a prototype set up on my Sealine-x 50 and it works great!
Getting quotes now for having production parts made.
Still a few weeks out but I'll post all the details as soon as they are ready.
I'll probably do another prototype on this build as well in the mean time.

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on December 01, 2017, 01:21:59 PM
Yes you have started something here Chad! I'll be needing 10 sets of those of those bars when you dial it in. 😎😎👍👍. Actually I'm serious if you get around to producing a few.  They'll fit Squidder and 200 Surfmaster too. 

If these work like I hope they will, I do plan to make more and sell them.  I think they will be a great low budget upgrade to many of these Penn's  :)

Swami805

I'd be in for some narrow ones 146,27 that sort of thing
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Shark Hunter

Great stuff you are doing there Chad.
I prefer to Narrow my 155 Critter Gitter's with an aluminum spool and ss posts.
If you get some bars made, I would be interested in a set or two.
Daron
Life is Good!

xjchad

Got some parts from Smooooth Drag and McMaster Carr today  :)
Everything has been soaking in Simple Green all weekend.
Hopefully I can finish cleaning and assemble it this week!

As for the spacer bar supports.  Once they get tested on this reel, I'd love to start making more for anyone that's interested.  
Thanks for the encouragement!

xjchad

Well with the fires up here and Christmas around the corner, the Critter Gitter has taken a back seat.  :(
Hope to make a little progress on it this week though!
Thanks for all the encouraging words guys!

xjchad

I was able to get a little progress on it today.
Fabricated and installed the adjustable mag system.