My Critter Gitter

Started by xjchad, November 30, 2017, 10:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Cool! take us step by step...if you don't mind.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fishhawk

Wow, Abu's beware! ...Theyre's gotta b a squidder somewhere in this
Mark

thorhammer

Cmon man that's messed up, not showing us under the plate. What Sal said. I'm gonna need some knurled knobbies too it looks like.

John

xjchad

Sorry guys, I'll get some more pics up when I can, just too busy right now. Lots of craziness...
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Swami805

I feel ya, crazy doesn't begin to cover it
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 14, 2017, 10:43:43 PM
Cool! take us step by step...if you don't mind.

Best,

Sal

Here's a quick rundown.
I drilled and tapped the side plate 5/16-24 to accept a stainless steel threaded insert (inside threads are 10-32).
Installed the insert with locktite.

316 stainless steel stud(10-32).  Drilled and tapped the end 4-40 to mount the magnet.

Aluminum knurled knob.  Tapped the ID 10-32.

Installed in side plate with spring.

Once I fine tune the adjustment and travel of the magnet, I'll file a flat spot on the threaded stud for the set screw to lock the knob in place.
I did the same set up on my Sealine-X 50 and it works awesome  :)

Swami805

That's some craftmanship, looks reea nice. Is that so you can adjust the brake on the fly during a cast or is it set all the time.
Buy the way still have a hard time getting over landing that fish in your avatar,that's crazy.

xjchad

Quote from: Swami805 on December 15, 2017, 11:47:51 PM
That's some craftmanship, looks reea nice. Is that so you can adjust the brake on the fly during a cast or is it set all the time.
Buy the way still have a hard time getting over landing that fish in your avatar,that's crazy.

Thanks!
I generally just set it for the current conditions and leave it.  I still use my thumb on the spool a bit too.
I've never tried adjusting it on the fly, but that might call for more coordination than I'm capable of  :D

I landed that Black Sea Bass while fishing for sharks/rays, so I was using my heavy gear.  Thank goodness, cuz it still was a heck of a fight!  :)

Alto Mare

Thanks for the pics and detailed instructions Chad, very much appreciated.
I just made this a sticky and a well deserved one at that.
Your job now is to make and sell us some of those adjustable mag system kits.
Very good work, maybe some stars are in order as well.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice Chad.
You have some skills. ;)
Life is Good!

xjchad

Wow, I'm very honored!
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Most of the credit goes right back to you all and all the great info on this board.

I'm working on putting together adjustable mag kits to sell as well as the 3D printed cross bar braces.
Hopefully in January sometime  :)

fishhawk

Greatest thing since the flush toilet ! Can't wait!
Mark

xjchad

Here's the 9' Fenwick it's going on.

Swami805

I don't live to far from you. If you ever need help with rods let me know. We need to wet a line sometime!

fishhawk

Chad, how long is your rod? I have a 10' foot that really throws tins well!