Another Dam question......

Started by Chuck750ss, November 30, 2017, 11:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

This 2-speed with Adam's drag kit is going to be a beast! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Chuck750ss

Quote from: mo65 on December 02, 2017, 03:03:18 PM
   This 2-speed with Adam's drag kit is going to be a beast! 8)

A two speed? Wow! That really brings out my inner reel nerdness!

Alto Mare

Shouldn't really compare the 650SS to the 270 though, two completely different reels.
I had a few come through my hands and I'm sorry I didn't hold on to them.
The 650 has 4.7:1 ratio, making it much faster and useful for some types of fishing, while the 270 is much slower making it a better choice for other types of fishing.
I like everything on those reels except the detachable reel stand.
Still nice reels though.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handyandy

I consider the 270 a 20 plus pound fish catching reel. I like challenging myself one of the times when I went bottom bumping below a damn on the ohio river near me for grins I took my 221 with 10lb test berkley big game mono on a stiff 6ft bass type rod. Normally I would use a little bigger reel with 15-20lb for bumping below the damn as sometimes you just get a bunch of little eater cats sometimes some medium 10-15lb ones sometime reel big ones over 20lbs most of depends on what's in below the damn and what I can manage to net for bait. Anyways that day during the eclipse a while back all we were getting were mostly smaller eater cats in the 3-6lb range so I broke out the quick 221 put an ounce pencil drift weight on with a three way swivel the typical circle hook I would use for this stick on a hole little 3-4" thread fin shad and started to use it to bump. I knew it was a little under powered for what could potentially bite. But it was fun caught a hard fighting 26" and 24" drum that was peeling line in the current, bunch of small cats, one decent flat head that probably weighed around 10lbs that was pulling a lot of line out. Was a lot fun these little quicks have got some guts to say the least.

Chuck750ss

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

happyhooker

Drum, and buffalo as well, are underrated fighters; lots of strength.

Frank

handyandy

Yeah I always enjoy getting into a good fight with buffalo, drum, cats, and big gar on lighter tackle. Big drum and buffalo I think are some of the best fighting fresh water fish, big catfish put up a fight, but pound for pound I think drum fight harder. That's why I love smallmouth pound for pound they put up good fight. Nothing like peeling drag to me no matter what's at the other end I enjoy it. Especially on old reels puts that much more of a smile on my face when it's on reels I have gone through.

Chuck750ss

We catch plenty of drum down here but have never caught a buffalo on rod and reel. My high school ag teacher would carry myself and his son up to the dam fishing. And he fished for drum. Only person I have known that liked them. Buffalo I like!

Rivverrat

I think the 270 is more reel than needed for any catfish up to 30 lbs. Unless you fish narly structure or heavy current.

The 440 or even a 331 with upgraded drag would be what I would use. 440 has an adjustment for the bail that the D.A.M. reels don't have until later models.
They do have a plastic spool which doesn't bother me to much. Rap the arbor with some protective tape & use braid topped off with mono.

If I wasn't fishing heavy current or structure a 331 with a Finessa metal spool would be the reel I'd use for catfish in this size class.
I'd put the 331 on a faster tipped blank than the usuall spinning rod & want the blank capable of fishing 40 - 50 line.... Jeff

happyhooker

Quote from: handyandy on December 08, 2017, 03:38:41 PM
Yeah I always enjoy getting into a good fight with buffalo, drum, cats, and big gar on lighter tackle. Big drum and buffalo I think are some of the best fighting fresh water fish, big catfish put up a fight, but pound for pound I think drum fight harder. That's why I love smallmouth pound for pound they put up good fight. Nothing like peeling drag to me no matter what's at the other end I enjoy it. Especially on old reels puts that much more of a smile on my face when it's on reels I have gone through.

An angler after my own heart.

Frank

happyhooker

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 09, 2017, 03:33:23 AM

The 440 or even a 331 with upgraded drag would be what I would use. 440 has an adjustment for the bail that the D.A.M. reels don't have until later models.
They do have a plastic spool which doesn't bother me to much. Rap the arbor with some protective tape & use braid topped off with mono.

If I wasn't fishing heavy current or structure a 331 with a Finessa metal spool would be the reel I'd use for catfish in this size class.
I'd put the 331 on a faster tipped blank than the usuall spinning rod & want the blank capable of fishing 40 - 50 line.... Jeff

Some good advice there, Rivverrat.

Frank

Rivverrat

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 01, 2017, 06:20:11 PM
For some reason unbeknownst to me most all of those older Dam reels feel awkward or clumsy when I stick them on a rod. I've never been able to figure out why they feel that way but it must have something to do with balance or just my perception.   

I think it is the way they balance also the handle angle on some models lends itself to a sort of awkward feeling. Easy to get used to though.

Rivverrat

Drum are not only great fighters they are pretty good eating. Gar can put on a show with their quick turns &  going air born at times..... TRASH FISH ?  My Beehind!

Like to see a bass or trout go 2 days in August where most gar call home. More Apocoliptic survivor's the any thing else.... Jeff

happyhooker

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 09, 2017, 04:00:24 AM
Gar can put on a show with their quick turns &  going air born at times..... 

Gar are a challenge; with their bony mouths, if your hooks aren't in #1 shape & you don't set the hook with a little emphasis, you'll come up empty.

Frank