Steak and Potatoes

Started by ChileRelleno, December 02, 2017, 08:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Well, this one eluded my posting it since Tuesday.

I was all by my lonesome what with the wife and kids being down at the Mouse's House.
So I decided to keep it real with a solid Steak and Potatoes meal.

A big, thick Chuckie marinated for six hours in a mix of Pineapple/Orange juice and a healthy dash of Worcestershire, then well rinsed, patted dry and dry brined with salt for a few hours.
Then on to a blazing hot grill for a heavy charring with a couple of huge Jalepenos to keep it company.
Pulled it at 145° and it was pretty darned tender, tasty and satisfying.

I also made some really nice Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with Squash, Zucchini and Onion with lots of fresh Rosemary, Sage and Thyme.

The Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Hell yea!
John, I am so tired of eating Bird, It is time for the Ribeye, Crab legs Feast!
I am Over Due.
Garden Salad, Crab Cakes, Jumbo Shrimp, Sauteed Mushrooms, Grilled onion, Baked Potato.
It is On!
I can usually do all this for less than $100.
A Meal fit for a King and my two.
Dustin, Teri and I will feast the feast of all feastes Tonight!
Damn, I'm Hungry Already! ;)
Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 02, 2017, 09:25:09 AM
Hell yea!
John, I am so tired of eating Bird, It is time for the Ribeye, Crab legs Feast!
I am Over Due.
Garden Salad, Crab Cakes, Jumbo Shrimp, Sauteed Mushrooms, Grilled onion, Baked Potato.
It is On!
I can usually do all this for less than $100.
A Meal fit for a King and my two.
Dustin, Teri and I will feast the feast of all feastes Tonight!
Damn, I'm Hungry Already! ;)
Make that a double "Hell Yeah!"
What time is dinner?
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

mo65

I'm a meat & taters guy...gimmie a fork, knife, and a cold beer! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

What a meal, especially with those roasted jalapenos.

I'm also a big fan of those little chuck eye "poor man's ribeye" steaks.

Dominick

John what about the manner in which you cooked that steak made it tender?  I was under the impression that meat was acidic and that you need to bring the ph in balance, thus the use of baking soda to tenderize some cuts of meat.  Surely the acid in the juices used for marination raised the acid level.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Dominick on December 02, 2017, 04:28:10 PM
John what about the manner in which you cooked that steak made it tender?  I was under the impression that meat was acidic and that you need to bring the ph in balance, thus the use of baking soda to tenderize some cuts of meat.  Surely the acid in the juices used for marination raised the acid level.  Dominick
Both the Pineapple and OJ contain the enzyme Bromelain, which is a meat tenderizer.
The kicker is that it must be fresh juice, it can not pasteurized.
Acidic they both may be, but give them enough time and you'll have mush instead of meat, so we don't want to marinade too long.
Now combine that with the salt dry brine and you've turned a tough cut into a really nice steak.
Ragnar Benson:

swill88

Quote from: ChileRelleno on December 02, 2017, 04:55:37 PM
Quote from: Dominick on December 02, 2017, 04:28:10 PM
John what about the manner in which you cooked that steak made it tender?  I was under the impression that meat was acidic and that you need to bring the ph in balance, thus the use of baking soda to tenderize some cuts of meat.  Surely the acid in the juices used for marination raised the acid level.  Dominick
Both Pineapple and OJ both contain the enzyme Bromelain. The kicker is that it must be fresh, not pastuerized.
Acidic they both may be, but give them enough time and you'll have mush and instead of meat.
Now combine that with the salt dry brine and you've turned s tough cut into a really nice steak.

thanks!

Dominick

Good information.  Thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Thanks to all y'all for the compliments and comments, I enjoy sharing my cooks/recipes with y'all.
Ragnar Benson:

Alto Mare

Quote from: ChileRelleno on December 02, 2017, 11:11:35 PM
Thanks to all y'all for the compliments and comments, I enjoy sharing my cooks/recipes with y'all.

And we're glad you do. That steak look amazing, I bet it tastes even better than it looks.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

Echo Sals sentiments.  We are all glad you enjoy sharing them cuz we sure enjoy reading them and seeing your money shots.  It sets the bar for me and gives me something to strive for. It also gives me ideas for things I've never tried yet. Keep em coming.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: ChileRelleno on December 02, 2017, 11:11:35 PM

You keepem' coming John.
Dustin was at Grandma's tonight and Teri doesn't do crab or lobster. (Thank Goodness)
We went to Red lobster instead. Sort of a late Anniversary Dinner, since Our was on Thanksgiving at our house on that day. ::)
Coconut Shrimp, Strip Steak, Lobster and Baked Tater.
All brought to me for free with gift cards I've been saving up.
Life is good. ;)
Crab fest to be continued.
Life is Good!