750SS CHROMED HANDLE

Started by basto, December 03, 2017, 12:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi Guys
I was told that there is a possibility of finding a stainless pinion gear in an early 750ss with the silver coloured badging on the side covers.
Jut wondering if that model was the one with the chromed handle?
That model came in a gold coloured box. Any other info about this model will be much appreciated.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

handi2

Bastro i have seen them. I believe they were chromed brass.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: handi2 on December 03, 2017, 04:04:36 PM
Bastro i have seen them. I believe they were chromed brass.

Keith
Not these Keith, these are stainless steel...the real McCoy:

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

basto

Hi Sal
I remember now, it was you who told me about them.
The reason I bought it up is because I just did a swap deal for one this model, but it won`t arrive for a couple days yet.
I can`t wait to look inside it.
Basto

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on December 03, 2017, 09:06:22 PM
Hi Sal
I remember now, it was you who told me about them.
The reason I bought it up is because I just did a swap deal for one this model, but it won`t arrive for a couple days yet.
I can`t wait to look inside it.
Basto
Basto, it will be a hit or miss situation, I'm hoping you'll find one.
With that said, you will do just fine with the brass pinion.
The ss spool shaft doesn't affect the ss pinion much, but on the brass pinion it will eventually enlarge the ID a little, this will cause the spool to wobble a little.
It will take some time to get it to that point, but the reel will still be usable. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Wow Sal I didn't know they were SS. I have seen them and just assumed. Next time if there is I will pay more attention.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Four years ago I almost had Alan Chui make us some. His source could get anything done, but due to the cut, the quote they came back with was too much.
He would have had to charge $100 a set, so decided not to go for it...too bad. Those were going to be heat treated... indestructable :)
I wanted them for all spinners, especially the 550...oh well...

basto

The 750SS arrived, but no stainless pinion. It does have a nice set of bronze gears though.
Just wondering if this model with the chromed handle was the first model SS?    I have 5 other SS reels but this one is the first I have seen with the chromed handle.
It does not have any badging left on either side of the reel. The spool shaft has some damage on the top of the brass section. I may have to find a parts reel.
Otherwise it is in fair condition.
cheers
Basto

George6308

Chromed handle is the first generation version.

basto

Hi George
Thanks for your reply. I thought it may have been the first. Would you know if this model had silver coloured badging on the side plates also?
I did see a chromed handle one on ebay, that had colored badging as the later models, but it may have been a mixture of different parts.
Basto

Alto Mare

Hello Basto, yours appears to be from the first run, but can't really depend on the handle, bearing cover nut and so on.
Here are a couple of pics of that same reel from the first run. Sorry, I only have it facing left.
This picture was gifted to me by Ted (Maxed out) about 3- 4 years ago...

Best,

Sal

basto

Thanks Sal. Much appreciated.Mine does not have the nut under the bearing cover. Is the nut really necessary? Have not seen one of them before.
Greg

Alto Mare

Greg, most of the early 750SS & 650SS came with the screw on the opposite side of the handle, Penn did away with them on the later models. If you ask me I say it was a good thing to have, but the later models do just fine without it.

Best,

Sal

basto

As you can see, the bearings were very dry and noisy. Dismantling and reassembling after cleaning and filling with grease was a learning experience with these plastic cage bearings. Just need to go back in same sequence.
The reel feels great now.

handi2

Just use a grease/oil mix. All grease and it will be hard to reel.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL