What reel woul be best to display on a 1964 Fenwick 12' surf rod

Started by 1badf350, December 03, 2017, 10:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

Lots of good info there Mike! Your brain is a never ending cave of knowledge!

Sal, sorry my friend I have no desire to part with it at the moment.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

oc1

Sorry to wander off topic, but.... Mike, do you when were the other spinfisher models were released?  I think they came out in dribs and drabs instead of all at once.
-steve

Midway Tommy

If you really want to go use and timeline correct I'd opt for this nice saltwater size bail-less Ted Williams 550 made in Italy by Zangi from the early 1960s. Notice the paperwork is pre zip code, i.e. prior to July 1, 1963. Also, the patent # referenced on the side plate is is that of Edward F Small's Hollliday patent filed in June 1956. That patent was also referenced by Gar Wood Jr. in his 1962 & 1964 patents, i.e Fin-Nor.

Most surf guys preferred bail-less, anyway, and I doubt you'll find a companion much better suited than the "TW 550", plus they're cool looking!      
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Penn Chronology

QuoteLots of good info there Mike! Your brain is a never ending cave of knowledge!

I agree, my brain is like a cave. Whatever goes in it, get lost in the dark corners.....................................<:O(

QuoteSorry to wander off topic, but.... Mike, do you when were the other spinfisher models were released?  I think they came out in dribs and drabs instead of all at once.
-steve

I have a timeline of all Penn models up to 1982. The Spinfisher introductions span from 1962 to 1975. They did not introduce them with any rhyme or reason. The introductions were sort of hap hazard in that window of 1962 to 1975.

conchydong

Quote from: oc1 on December 04, 2017, 05:16:15 AM
That would be an interesting challenge to put together an outfit from a green stamp catalog.  You can now buy an old reel for what the old catalogs cost.  Go figure.  We had S&H and another kind that was yellow/gold but 1 can't remember the name.  My galvanized minor bucket with the floating insert came from there.

A 704 anyway.
-steve

Steve, we had these in S. Florida in the 60's. They were given out at the Kwik Chek (later Winn Dixie)
stores. Are they the ones you are referring to?
Scott

Miles Offshore

I used to love to throw the Quick 550 on the old lamiglass 11' ers i built back in the day. It was a. GReat reel!
Craig Miles
Virginia Beach, Va.

oc1

Quote from: conchydong on March 18, 2018, 03:13:06 AM
They were given out at the Kwik Chek (later Winn Dixie)
stores. Are they the ones you are referring to?
That's them Scott.  Top Value.  I was in South Texas.
-steve

1badf350

So i looked at the Luxor 3B that Mike mentioned. I liked it alot so I decided to do it.
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

1badf350

I liked it so much that I bought a second one to put on my Harnell

-Chris

Penn Chronology

I liked it so much that I bought a second one to put on my Harnell

Posted on: Today at 06:50:03 AM
Posted by: 1badf350 

Wow Chris, you found another one. Looks like a mint in the box one!

b houlihan

hay gentialman i have the same question on a 10ft shakespeare spinning surf rod thanks for the help

oc1

Knowing when the rod was made will help select an appropriate reel.  This information has been repeated several places on the web so I don't know who to give credit to:

Most Shakespeare glass rods were marked with a three-letter code indicating the date of manufacture.  This date code was either stenciled on the blank near the model identification number, or stamped on the reel seat.  The first two letters in the code indicate the year while the third letter indicates the month.
Each of the first two letters is translated to a numerical digit per the following table:Date code key part 1: letters to year digits
K   J   H   G   F   E   D   C   B   A
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   0

These two digits, when prefixed with '19', indicate the year of manufacture.  For example, from the date code 'EJF', we take the first two letters 'EJ' and translate these to '62' using the preceding table.  This results in the year '1962'.

The third letter in the date code indicates the month, per the following table:Date code key part 2: letters to month
K     J       H        G        F        E      D      C     B    A     L      M
Jan   Feb   Mar   Apr   May   Jun   Jul   Aug   Sep   Oct   Nov   Dec

Continuing with the previous example of date code EJF, the letter 'F' from this table gives us 'May' as the month.  Therefore the complete translation of date code EJF is 'May 1962'.

-steve