Newell 550 grinding

Started by grader, December 04, 2017, 01:41:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grader

I have a 550 that works perfectly when in gear, very smooth. But when I put it in free spool and turn the handle it has a grinding feeling/sound. I tried using different spools and gears, but it's the same. Any ideas. Thanks

Rancanfish

I have a Penn Mag 525 that has exactly that description.  I examined the gears under a flashlight and saw nothing. 

I'm now waiting on a bearing replacement set to try.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Swami805

Could be a shim is needed in one of the bearing cups. Sounds like it isn't coming all the way out of gear. They're very small and one could have fallen out without you seeing it. I think a 550 would have a little plastic one, white or clear.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

grader

I'll take a look at the shims again.

bluefish69

You should have 1 Plastic Shim in the clicker side bearing cap.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

grader

Thanks Mike, I checked and there is one.

Swami805

Try adding another or moving it to the other side. I've had that problem and always was something about a shim here or there. If not you got me.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

grader

grader

The problem seemed to be the yoke was sitting slightly at an angle causing the pinnion to tilt. So I bent the jack tabs down just a little to make the yoke sit flat, and that stopped the grinding. Thanks for your time guys.

bluefish69

If you look at the Yoke where the Pinion rides you will see the Yoke is wearing. Find yourself a New or a good used one for a spare. I've had this on Newell Reels before.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

grader

Newell Nut

If the yoke adjustment had not worked the next task would be to sand a couple thousandths off the pinion on the end that may be touching the bearing. Another step is to look under the handle side bearing to make sure there is no shim washer there.
A way to check is to just hold the side plate with bridge attached and work the jack lever in and out to see if the pinion pulls back from the bridge good when out of gear. If it does not then you may hear a ticking noise where the pinion just touches the spool lug when out of gear.