Penn 9500SS -- Doing a Quick Upgrade

Started by foakes, December 05, 2017, 02:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Have a pair of 9500SS that were only used for one trip --

Taking a break from the Quicks & Mitchells to do some 12 tooth SS ratchets along with SS double dogs.

Just pulled some springs out of the bins for these -- not sure of it takes the 5-704 or the 5-705 on the extra dog -- have both, so there should be no issues -- if there is an issue, I will just make a couple of springs.  But it looks like these will do the trick.

Got to get all of that funky Penn factory grease out of there -- and go to Yamaha Marine with Cal's lightly applied to the drag disc.  

Should be good to go.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Maxed Out

Fred, make sure you use the sprocket with deeper cut teeth. The 1st run Justin made the sprocket teeth a little too shallow. I see both types in your picture. Pretty sure the one in very front is prototype style that you don't want to use. You'll notice one fits the dogs much nicer than the other.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

The double dog ratchet's make them sound like bee's. ;)
Life is Good!

thorhammer

foakes

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 05, 2017, 06:32:49 AM
Fred, make sure you use the sprocket with deeper cut teeth. The 1st run Justin made the sprocket teeth a little too shallow. I see both types in your picture. Pretty sure the one in very front is prototype style that you don't want to use. You'll notice one fits the dogs much nicer than the other.

Will do, Ted --

Got parts soaking in lacquer thinner right now -- will put them back together, test, adjust, burnish, reinstall, reclean, lube and salt ready the casing and intrusion points -- and then send them back to you.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

redsetta

Nice one Fred, will look forward to seeing the result.
They were the last of that run I did a few years back (and included some prototype/test parts), so I hope there are two full kits among them for Ted.
You're right Daron - I find it quite a reassuring sound when jigging for kings  ;)
Good luck lads, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer