When is a reel just too far gone?

Started by Legal Bill, December 05, 2017, 02:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Quote from: Legal Bill on December 07, 2017, 08:05:10 PM
You guys are all great!  I cleaned everything before I examined for wear, so I know what I can use and what I can't (or shouldn't) use.  Here are the "must haves" based on both the observed amount of wear and the function of the part.  This is the minimum I think I need to buy and then I could see how well it functions.

4-155 fiber washer HAVE
5-60  Main gear (pitting on back side face that runs against the above listed washer and pitting on the inside walls.  Inside face and gear teeth look ok.  My gut says replace this.) TRY EMORY CLOTH TO LAP IT. FOR WHAT YOU MIGHT USE THE REEL FOR, I BET IT WILL DO. IF ITS OLD IT LIKELY HAS STEEL GEAR, NEW 5-60's ARE BRASS. THAT STEEL WILL HOLD STRENGTH-WISE.
6-60 drag washers (all 3) HAVE METALS.
12-155 pinion yoke HAVE
13-200 pinion HAVE
19-200 eccentric HAVE
32-16CH stand screw left side (missing 1) HAVE
37-155  Frame post (at least one, but two would be better) HAVE

Once I get all that replaced I can make a better assessment of the bearings, gear sleeve (which actually look ok), dog and dog spring, eccentric lever (almost 100% sure this will be fine with a new eccentric) and the two end plates.  I'm especially worried about the right side plate as there is a lot of surface wear showing on all the metal parts that ride on the various inside surfaces of the end plate.

Other items that look like corrosion has taken all the plating off, but are still functional are the other two frame posts, the stand, 9-60 spacing sleeve, and 8-60 tension (belville) washer.

Missing but unnecessary items are 33-200 rod clamp and 152-200 wing nuts (2)  I have an aftermarket clamp and hardware that will substitute for all the original reel clamp hardware.

I'd be very happy to pay for the parts, be they new or used.  This community effort is inspiring me to throw common sense to the wind!  Maybe when it is done we can mail it around and all involved can catch a fish with it.

Will send today or Monday.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on December 08, 2017, 01:09:26 PM
Quote from: Legal Bill on December 07, 2017, 08:05:10 PM
You guys are all great!  I cleaned everything before I examined for wear, so I know what I can use and what I can't (or shouldn't) use.  Here are the "must haves" based on both the observed amount of wear and the function of the part.  This is the minimum I think I need to buy and then I could see how well it functions.

4-155 fiber washer HAVE
5-60  Main gear (pitting on back side face that runs against the above listed washer and pitting on the inside walls.  Inside face and gear teeth look ok.  My gut says replace this.) TRY EMORY CLOTH TO LAP IT. FOR WHAT YOU MIGHT USE THE REEL FOR, I BET IT WILL DO. IF ITS OLD IT LIKELY HAS STEEL GEAR, NEW 5-60's ARE BRASS. THAT STEEL WILL HOLD STRENGTH-WISE.
6-60 drag washers (all 3) HAVE METALS.
12-155 pinion yoke HAVE
13-200 pinion HAVE
19-200 eccentric HAVE
32-16CH stand screw left side (missing 1) HAVE
37-155  Frame post (at least one, but two would be better) HAVE

Once I get all that replaced I can make a better assessment of the bearings, gear sleeve (which actually look ok), dog and dog spring, eccentric lever (almost 100% sure this will be fine with a new eccentric) and the two end plates.  I'm especially worried about the right side plate as there is a lot of surface wear showing on all the metal parts that ride on the various inside surfaces of the end plate.

Other items that look like corrosion has taken all the plating off, but are still functional are the other two frame posts, the stand, 9-60 spacing sleeve, and 8-60 tension (belville) washer.

Missing but unnecessary items are 33-200 rod clamp and 152-200 wing nuts (2)  I have an aftermarket clamp and hardware that will substitute for all the original reel clamp hardware.

I'd be very happy to pay for the parts, be they new or used.  This community effort is inspiring me to throw common sense to the wind!  Maybe when it is done we can mail it around and all involved can catch a fish with it.

Will send today or Monday.

Everything but drag washers appears to be covered for the reel mechanics?   I'm sure I have a rod clamp.

foakes

Let me know if anything else is needed, fellas --

Sure that I have anything and everything also.

Will send as soon as requested.

Thanks!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

sooooo......the answer to the original question is "When The Ohana run out of parts"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which is pretty unlikely for most anything named Penn....

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on December 08, 2017, 06:39:16 PM
sooooo......the answer to the original question is "When The Ohana run out of parts"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! which is pretty unlikely for most anything named Penn....

This is what you call "Ohana-sourcing!"

Should I send the clamp?

thorhammer

Note, personally I hate the wingnuts. Once I decide what size reel seat it will live on, generally a 22 or 24 mm for a reel that size, I put clamp on and the cut the studs to length with a dremel to where i can use SS Acorn nuts (available at HD or Lowes, or at least SS Nyloc. Much neater and doesn't hang things.

Decker

Quote from: thorhammer on December 08, 2017, 07:37:11 PM
Note, personally I hate wingnuts.

We all try to avoid political discussion on the site ;D

foakes

Just following up to see what else may be needed -- can send Wednesday or Thursday when you let me know what is needed to anchor this project.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Legal Bill

Thank you, gentlemen.  I'm sorry I did not look in on this thread over the weekend.  I was very busy learning how to clean, repair and reassemble 3 Mitchell 302s with parts that Keith was good enough to send.  That bail return spring can be a real you-know-what to reinstall!!!  But that aside, I only had to partially disassemble one reel to install a part that I forgot the first time!  Don't you just love when you finish assembly and there is a part on the white paper towel staring back at you???

To update the status of the Surfmaster, I am waiting for John's parts to arrive and my plan is to do an assembly and see how it works.  Does the free spool engage and disengage smoothly and affirmatively, does the main gear, pinion gear and gear sleeve and anti reverse all work solidly and smoothly and does the spool spin freely and retrieve without noise or binding?  If all of that is good, I'll re-line the spool and give it a workout in the shop under test conditions and then decide if it needs anything else.  I know it will need drag washers, but before anyone else inconveniences themselves I'd like to see if there are any bigger problems.

thorhammer

Legal Bill

Thank you, John.  I'll be on the look-out.

Legal Bill

Many thanks to John for the infusion of parts.  I was able to use about half of what John sent me, but it looks like the rest of the parts were for different reels.  Either that or my reel is a bit of a Frankenstein and I didn't know it.  Anyway, I'm a bit further along, but now I still need a new dog spring to really test it out.  This thing has the old-style flat strip spring.  I have a very bad habit of bending them out of shape when reinstalling them, so I think I'll order two of them.  I had to reuse the old pilot gear, which worries me.  The substitute John sent looks like a different part, with a ring around the notched section of the gear.  My reel just has an open notch for the reel spindle to seat into.  I tried to fit John's gear as the teeth looked great, but it simply does not mesh with my main gear so it was back to the original.  Right now everything seems to work but the anti-reverse which I need to really test it out.  Thanks to all of you and John especially for all the encouragement, parts, and help.

thorhammer

Hm. Stock surfmaster gear has the strengthening bind ring on pinion. Yours must have been replaced. I was certain those are -60 drag washers too, because I'm reasonably certain I just took them out of a 150 I built...I wonder if your gears have been changed somehow...were my drags too large? if so, someone has switched you to 155 beachmaster gears, i think. even so that spool should go in the pinion.

MarkT

Just swap out everything and it'll be good as new!  I've had the same axe for 40 years.  I've had to replace the handle three times and the head once but it's the same axe, right?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

thorhammer

Pretty sure there jiggys in my box like your axe....