When is a reel just too far gone?

Started by Legal Bill, December 05, 2017, 02:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legal Bill

I've been on the look-out for a Surfmaster for some time.  I Love this little brother version of the Jigmaster, with the iconic relief graphic of the top-hat wearing fisherman on the side plate.  But I don't see them very often.

I don't go out of my way to buy old Penn reels for top dollar on Craig's List or Ebay.  Yard sales or just word of mouth is how I come by most of my vintage Penn reels.  So when someone just gave me an old Surfmaster 200, I was very pleased.  It looked well used and a turn of the handle told me that something inside was either broken or worn.  I just took it apart and conclude that many of the parts are showing excessive wear or damage.  The handle sideplate shows damage where the freespool hammer hits it and the top edge of the plate looks worn down from some sort of friction.  Perhaps it got chipped and the owner sanded it smooth.  The clicker side has a very loose clicker button.  Inside, the pinion yoke looks slightly bent and the area where the pinion rides it is worn down on both sides.  The pinion gear itself has very sharp teeth that look like they have seen millions of revolutions.  The eccentric looks like the seat for the free spool lever is worn thin and may let the lever spin.  The left side ring doesn't seem to be flat, but it seems to true up well enough when the screws are tightened.  One of the frame posts is bent and the others have a lot of green corrosion, as does the stand.  The drag stack needs to be replaced and I would not even try to reuse the metal washers.  The eccentric jack shows wear on both faces.  With all this wear, I have a hard time trusting the bridge and sleeve or the bearings...

Do they reach a point where you just say no?  Maybe put them back together and use them as a display or an accent piece over the mantle on an old rod?

Swami805

That's really an eye of beholder type of thing. To buy all those parts new would cost a lot. Maybe a decent one can be had pretty reasonably on ebay for not much. Either reuse the ebay parts or change out the plates on it and call it good. Pretty common reel on ebay, just keep an eye on it til a decent pops up in your price range
Do what you can with that you have where you are

vilters

yup, just what swami said. don't be afraid to check ebay/craigs. I just picked a nice little surfmaster 100 on craigslist for a very good price. decent used condition, will need drag washers and service, but works well as is. already has newell kit on it. if you find one and need parts, just post here and you will probably get some help. I have some spare parts for these reels myself.

thorhammer

Agree both above.  Your first step might be to study the schematics because a ton of those parts are interchangeable and you might find a "restoration bundle" on eBay for $15.  They are there.  Once you decide, also post here and people may have a few parts. There's a few in my my bins of different stuff. Might have tail plate, will check. 

John

sdlehr

I might be able to help you with some/most of those parts, I purchased a lot of miscellaneous parts just for this purpose. PM me if interested.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

JRD

Quote from: Legal Bill on December 05, 2017, 02:58:48 AM
I've been on the look out for a Surfmaster for some time.  Love this little brother version of the jigmaster.  So when someone just gave me an old Surfmaster 200, I was very pleased.  

Those are the hardest and most expensive reels.  Your looking for one, you love the reel and it's a thoughtful gift.  I often find that I put silly money into a reel I'm in love with even though I know I won't  fish it when I'm done.  But I get the satisfaction from the idea and execution.  The worst is buying a part then building a reel around it.

Keep it.  Over time we all end up with a boneyard which will yield most of the parts you need.

Decker

"Iconic relief graphic of the top-hat wearing fisherman on the side plate," -- can someone show a pic of that?  I have Surfmasters and never noticed a top hat.

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

I don't think I ever saw one either.  Please post a photo if you can.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

JRD

Never seen it either

Legal Bill

That's the image.  Top hat is probably an overstatement, but look at that thing!  It's certainly a stetson at least.

Decker

Looks like it could be a fedora or a panama hat to me.  And he's got a pretty long nose...  Sorry for the tangent.

Legal Bill

Ha ha, nope, no problem.  That's why i love these little reels.  And who knows what rod he's using???

Decker

Now that you mention the rod, his left arm looks very uncomfortable, and it appears that the rod butt connects directly to his wrist, like a prosthesis.  I guess for a dedicated fisherman, it could be a nice feature, but personally, I'd rather have the rod attached to my right arm.

oc1

The bent bar would bother me because that means the whole reel is cock-eyed.  If it was used with a bent bar then all the internals are going to be badly worn.  If a reel is twisted or the bakelite is broken then it is unlikely to ever be something you would want to use or invest in.
-steve