When is a reel just too far gone?

Started by Legal Bill, December 05, 2017, 02:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

Quote from: Decker on December 05, 2017, 05:23:22 PM
Looks like it could be a fedora or a panama hat to me.  And he's got a pretty long nose...  Sorry for the tangent.

yep, that's the guy. a fisherman with a long nose? hehe :D

Legal Bill

Quote from: oc1 on December 05, 2017, 07:58:05 PM
The bent bar would bother me because that means the whole reel is cock-eyed.  If it was used with a bent bar then all the internals are going to be badly worn.  If a reel is twisted or the bakelite is broken then it is unlikely to ever be something you would want to use or invest in.
-steve

Good observation, Steve.  Maybe the endplates are worn as well.  It kills me to just toss it.  Maybe I'll just resemble it and mount it on an old rod I use for display purposes.

Swami805

checked the sold listings on ebay just for grins and you should be able to get a whole reel in decent shape for around 20 bucks. couple cups of coffee and a danish. Whether it's worth it is up to you but that is a pretty cool side plate
Do what you can with that you have where you are

FatTuna

You should call up Fisherman's Outfitter. Those guys are really nice. They'll help you out with all your questions for about $350 ;D.

Legal Bill

I inventoried all the parts that were worn or broken.  I priced it out on Scotts.  $57.10.  ::) :D

Decker

Quote from: Legal Bill on December 07, 2017, 04:38:41 AM
I inventoried all the parts that were worn or broken.  I priced it out on Scotts.  $57.10.  ::) :D

Just like my car that recently hit a deer: TOTALLED

Legal Bill

I saw one on Craigslist last night for $25.  It even had the original box.  Just a little too far away.

thorhammer

Never toss it. do you have pics? From all you said is off with it, you'd only have the original star and handle left if I calculate. I think i probably have a bar, eccentric, yolk and jack I can send you.  If it were mine, i'd disassemble, dump the whole thing in degreaser for a day then in white vinegar for a couple. By then, my couple of critical parts will arrive and you can see if you can get it operational. i wouldn't mess with the plates and gears...see if the other bits get it working. Lap the metal washers on 1000 grit, and cut drags out of leather or felt. Reassemble and see what you have. My .02. If it still isn't up to snuff hang on wall.

Swami805

Post up what you need. I'll check my bone yard too. Sounds like a challenge.

foakes

These guys are right, Bill --

When do we ever toss in the towel?

Post up a laundry list of what is needed -- and between all of the Ohana here -- you will get whatever you need.

I have been known to rebuild a Penn starting with the only good part left in a thrashed reel -- the dog spring.

It is not about the $$$ -- it is the challenge that few others in the world can or will do.

We are a special breed -- and that old 200 deserves another shot at 50 years, or to be retired to the bench -- but displayed and ready to go if needed.

Let us know what you need after it is cleaned -- and we will send it out at no charges.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

Quote from: Swami805 on December 07, 2017, 03:02:42 PM
Post up what you need. I'll check my bone yard too. Sounds like a challenge.

I'm in too.  Have Surfmaster parts that could use a good home.  :D

Legal Bill

You guys are all great!  I cleaned everything before I examined for wear, so I know what I can use and what I can't (or shouldn't) use.  Here are the "must haves" based on both the observed amount of wear and the function of the part.  This is the minimum I think I need to buy and then I could see how well it functions.

4-155 fiber washer
5-60  Main gear (pitting on back side face that runs against the above listed washer and pitting on the inside walls.  Inside face and gear teeth look ok.  My gut says replace this.)
6-60 drag washers (all 3)
12-155 pinion yoke
13-200 pinion
19-200 eccentric
32-16CH stand screw left side (missing 1)
37-155  Frame post (at least one, but two would be better)

Once I get all that replaced I can make a better assessment of the bearings, gear sleeve (which actually look ok), dog and dog spring, eccentric lever (almost 100% sure this will be fine with a new eccentric) and the two end plates.  I'm especially worried about the right side plate as there is a lot of surface wear showing on all the metal parts that ride on the various inside surfaces of the end plate.

Other items that look like corrosion has taken all the plating off, but are still functional are the other two frame posts, the stand, 9-60 spacing sleeve, and 8-60 tension (belville) washer.

Missing but unnecessary items are 33-200 rod clamp and 152-200 wing nuts (2)  I have an aftermarket clamp and hardware that will substitute for all the original reel clamp hardware.

I'd be very happy to pay for the parts, be they new or used.  This community effort is inspiring me to throw common sense to the wind!  Maybe when it is done we can mail it around and all involved can catch a fish with it.

thorhammer

Bill, Pm me your address; I know for a fact I have some of this stuff from a 350 i took apart to get the other Bill (Tarfu) some parts. I'll dig out this weekend.

John

Bill B

Bill, this group of the Best bunch of people you have never met will get that reel purring in no time.....this same bunch helped me rebuild a Penn 349 cradle reel, including the rod  :o    They know who they are and I'm eternally grateful.....I have not been able to pay it back here but did help out and old river rat in Sacramento with a rod and reel during the process......It has been said time and time again.....Alan has formed a website that is BUILT on treating everyone like family......and they were my family for 3 1/2 years while I was separated from my own.......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Swami805

I'll hit the boneyard Saturday and see what I have, sure to have some of it