Lucas Lubricants

Started by George6308, November 20, 2017, 10:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George6308

I just obtained Lucas Fishing Reel Oil, CLP, gun oil, and gun grease. Has anybody tried them ?

happyhooker

I assume that is the same Lucas that makes auto lubes?

Frank

theswimmer

I have used the gun oil and grease as well as the honey oil and liked them all very much. The honey oil can be hard to find but when you have something that will be immersed in water constantly that needs to be lubricated that is the stuff. We use it on the big sailboat for just about all the rigging.
Best,
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

George6308

Same company as the auto lube maker.

Gobi King

Quote from: George6308 on November 21, 2017, 10:34:09 PM
Same company as the auto lube maker.

George,
use it, Lucas products are ok, bit overpriced as they spend more on ads than r&d.

Amsoil, Redline, schaeffer's are some top shelf synthetics, I use their oils, grease etc.

I use 0w20 mobil 1 or amsoil for my guns and reels too :-)
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

akfish

The Lucas reel oil seems OK, a lot like Penn oil. But I would never use their white lithium reel grease. Never.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Gobi King

Quote from: akfish on December 01, 2017, 05:25:40 PM
The Lucas reel oil seems OK, a lot like Penn oil. But I would never use their white lithium reel grease. Never.

Agree, penn, yamaha, merc, they do not make any of their oils.
Fichigan

happyhooker

Are we agreed that a quality full synthetic auto motor oil would be usable as a fishing reel lube?  Or, no?

Frank

Tiddlerbasher

Maybe - BUT until something better comes along I'm staying with TSI321 (or TSI301 for spool bearings on a caster)

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 01, 2017, 08:54:24 PM
Maybe - BUT until something better comes along I'm staying with TSI321 (or TSI301 for spool bearings on a caster)

Same here as well. Ive not seen anything that combines long term corrsion protection & casting. Some may cast noticeably better but wont last as long they also wont have the great corrosion protection this lubricant provides.

Gobi King

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 03, 2017, 02:22:23 AM
Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 01, 2017, 08:54:24 PM

Same here as well. Ive not seen anything that combines long term corrsion protection & casting. Some may cast noticeably better but wont last as long they also wont have the great corrosion protection this lubricant provides.

I was not aware that TSI321 even existed before I read about it here couple of days back.
I just bought few bottles for my reels and a girls bikes.

Anyway, synthetic motor is works, i.e. any lubricant works better than no lube.
Most thin oils evap quickly.

Back on topic: Lucus, Royal Purple etc, I would use if I find them on sale/clearance, if not I opt for better value with mainstream synthetics which I buy in bulk or on sale also.
Fichigan