Shakespeare 2052 Schematic

Started by mo65, December 06, 2017, 03:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Hope this is useful for folks. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Yes, it will be useful since I ordered one of those little reels this afternoon and it should be here early next week.  Thanks Mike.

Gfish

Perhaps it's blastphamy, but after delving into both reels, I think the 2052/2062 series have an small advantage over the Cardinal series. Hard to compete with a fulcrum style drag and the placement of the adjusting knob on the Cardinal's. The main reason I give more weight to the Shakespeare's, has to do with the plastic parts found on the Cardinal's: the spool, the bail arms, and the connecting block for the oscillating arm/spool shaft. The Shakespeare's have just the handle knob and the drag knob as plastic parts. The weight factor gives an advantage to the Zebco's but I'll take that little extra any day if I can avoid the plastic.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

A few years ago I saw an older fellow fight and land a 20+ lb buffalo fish on the Clinch River using an old beat up Shakespeare 2052.  I asked him how long he'd had the reel and he said over 40 years.  A few months ago I was browsing some old Field & Stream online copies from the 1960s and 70s and saw several Royal Maroon ads.

And after watching The Fishing Hobby's video I've been looking for one of these ever since.  

The innards, at least inside the main housing, remind me of the D.A.M. Quicks.  So servicing one of these 2052 should be easy to grasp.  I don't know anything about the bail mechanism or braking system for these but it shouldn't be too difficult to learn.

happyhooker

Gfish, I won't comment on the Shaky vs. Cardinal faceoff, but I'm with you on the plastic vs metal idea.

Frank

Midway Tommy

Quote from: happyhooker on February 01, 2018, 04:06:43 PM
Gfish, I won't comment on the Shaky vs. Cardinal faceoff, but I'm with you on the plastic vs metal idea.

Frank

I'm not sure there should be a "face off", they're all, including the Dam & Mitchell ULs, good high quality reels. There are pluses & minuses to each of them. They have all had plastic spools at some point, including the Shakespeares, so it really just boils down to personal preference, maintenance and balance/ease of use on the rod you put them on. They've all stood the test of time quite well.  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Quote from: festus on February 01, 2018, 03:00:32 PM
A few years ago I saw an older fellow fight and land a 20+ lb buffalo fish on the Clinch River using an old beat up Shakespeare 2052.  I asked him how long he'd had the reel and he said over 40 years.  A few months ago I was browsing some old Field & Stream online copies from the 1960s and 70s and saw several Royal Maroon ads.

And after watching The Fishing Hobby's video I've been looking for one of these ever since.  

The innards, at least inside the main housing, remind me of the D.A.M. Quicks.  So servicing one of these 2052 should be easy to grasp.  I don't know anything about the bail mechanism or braking system for these but it shouldn't be too difficult to learn.

Last time I looked on "flea-bay", the maroon 2052 & 2062's were relatively inexpensive. Oh, oh, now the cat may be odda the bag so ya better move fast Festus.
The drags 3 discs(now I can't recall the material-Mo?)& 3 metal washers were just like a penn. Bigger than the cardinals drag discs and on a more solid platform with the metals being keyed(advantage-Shaky!). Testing my Cardinal drags after I first got it( relatively expensive on E.B., advantage Shaky!)and serviced it, I broke both drag discs, stupidly putting to much test pressure on 'em, but also possibly 'cause they were straight carbon fiber and keyed, and not supported real well.
The bail is dubble springed with metal arms and very well constructed IMO. One side's even got a built in rubber stopper to reduce auto-snap back stress-advantage Shaky!

So maybe I should DO a comparison-disassembly-tutorial between the 2 and stop TALKIN 'bout it. Gotta wait till this Summer, 'cause I took the 2062 back to the mainland. Should bea good-escape from the domestic bliss of the main house to my corner garage man cave-thing.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gfish on February 01, 2018, 09:19:55 PM

Last time I looked on "flea-bay", the maroon 2052 & 2062's were relatively inexpensive. Oh, oh, now the cat may be odda the bag so ya better move fast Festus.
The drags 3 discs(now I can't recall the material-Mo?)& 3 metal washers were just like a penn. Bigger than the cardinals drag discs and on a more solid platform with the metals being keyed(advantage-Shaky!). Testing my Cardinal drags after I first got it( relatively expensive on E.B., advantage Shaky!)and serviced it, I broke both drag discs, stupidly putting to much test pressure on 'em, but also possibly 'cause they were straight carbon fiber and keyed, and not supported real well.
The bail is dubble springed with metal arms and very well constructed IMO. One side's even got a built in rubber stopper to reduce auto-snap back stress-advantage Shaky!

So maybe I should DO a comparison-disassembly-tutorial between the 2 and stop TALKIN 'bout it. Gotta wait till this Summer, 'cause I took the 2062 back to the mainland. Should bea good-escape from the domestic bliss of the main house to my corner garage man cave-thing.

You should do that, Greg.   :D

I'm curious, though, as to where you have seen a Shakespeare 2062 with two bail springs? Cardinals have two but Shakespeares only have one, at least as far as I know. Even their bigger, 2071, 2081 & 2091, models just have one bail spring. Drag stack surface and function can be relative to where they're located and how they are designed. Just because the washer surface, i.e. diameter, is larger doesn't necessarily mean it has more power, works smoother or is more efficient. There is a lot less stress/torque on the main shaft behind the pinion worm gear than there is out on the end of the main shaft at the spool, and it's a much more efficient drag design to turn the main shaft rather than working/turning the spool on the main shaft. The Cardinal 4 also has 6 drag surfaces, and they are more protected from water, sand & dirt inside the body than at the front of the spool. An anti-reverse working against a pinion worm gear puts less stress/torque on the main gear than an anti-reverse ratchet gear mounted on the back of the main gear.

Like I've said before, all have pluses & minuses and it's all relative to personal preference.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Gfish

You're right Midway, only 1 bail spring, so much for depending on my memory...

Only recall 2 drag discs in the Card. 4, easy to check since that puppy's my go-to, shallow-small lure, reef reel and set up for tomorrow...yeah only 2(4 workin surfaces, right?). Thinkin 'bout it now: plastic spool, protected drag on nylon/plastic click washer, plastic bail arms --- all better for saltwater use, esp. inna kayak. Advantage C-4!, but corrosion absence only, not strength.

Larger drag discs are supposed to disapate heat better, though the actual friction produced should be the same, all other things being equal. They aren't, given design diffrences. Perhaps my original drag discs broke because of their age... C-4 vs Shaky drags: toss up for me.

Agree on the anti-reverse strength/function-advantage-C-4. Also on the placement C-4's drag(esp. location of adjustment knob) and the use of the steel spool shaft for drag torque, insteada using the PLASTIC spool only. Correct me if I'm wrong here, the Shaky model I worked on hadda metal spool, so still a toss-up for me on the drag sys. 'cause of the strength factor advantage of the Shaky(i.e., keyed carbon fiber discs & drag pressure on the plastic spool, for the C-4).
Advantages, disadvantages, side by side real world tests may be the only way to see...
Gfish

mo65

I may be a party pooper on the ultralight drag subject...but I have to look at drag power as being of little importance on a reel spooled with 8lb. line. I know there are exceptions, I myself being the exception at times. I have a Quick 221 spooled with 40lb. braid just hoping for a big hybrid striper to grab it and test my greasy new carbontex drags! But...for the most part...if these little spinners develop a few pounds of "kinda smooth" power...it will fish like a champ. Like Tommy said, they all have advantages and disadvantages, but I like to think it's more weighed by price than performance. Some of these early spinning tanks can empty your wallet. Thinking from this angle, that little Shaky is mighty hard to beat! 8)

Midway Tommy

Greg,

The early 2062s had a metal spool but don't forget that later versions had plastic spools. Also, when you consider drag stack surfaces don't forget about both sides of the nylon click washers on the Cardinals. Three metal, two carbon and the click washer against the bronze oilite bearing makes six.  

Mike,

I agree with you on the UL, and also lite size, drag power. They are really insignificant in the big scheme of things, IMO, unless the reels are being used for bigger fish than they were actually designed for. Personally, I feel like the most important factors in these sized reels are smoothness of the drag at the start and during a short run, and ease of adjustment in the event it is needed. I agree that at first glance, if one is really pushed to buy a reel, that the Shakespeare prices seem much cheaper, but I have 10 ABU & Zebco Cardinal 3/33s and 25 ABU & Zebco Cardinal 4/44s, which does not include the A/G black Japanese Cardinals, and only paid over $35 for one 3 and one 4. They were both in the $50 range because they were NIB. All the rest ranged from $5 to $35 and most in the $10 to $20 range. I only buy them, these days, at yard sales, swap meets & flea markets, and only if they are in nice condition and less than $25. You would be surprised at how many I've picked up for $10. It pays not to be on a mission or in a hurry.  ;)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 02, 2018, 06:50:42 PM
It pays not to be on a mission or in a hurry.  ;)

I will try to keep this advise in mind...as I look at overpriced Penn 420s and Cardinal 3s. Sometimes the pain moves me to uncapping the Jim Beam Black...that can't be all bad can it? :D

Midway Tommy

Quote from: mo65 on February 02, 2018, 07:34:20 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on February 02, 2018, 06:50:42 PM
It pays not to be on a mission or in a hurry.  ;)

I will try to keep this advise in mind...as I look at overpriced Penn 420s and Cardinal 3s. Sometimes the pain moves me to uncapping the Jim Beam Black...that can't be all bad can it? :D

Well then I'll go ahead and really make your day.  ;) About 4 years ago, right about now, we went to to a yearly local Small Bass Boat Flea Market & Swap Meet. As we were walking down an aisle of tables a late arrival seller was just starting to unbox & setup. Usually all the good deals are gobbled up by dealers before the meet even opens. I was looking at some stuff at another table & my wife nudged me in the side and pulled me over to that table because she saw an ABU Cardinal 52 NIB being set out and recognized the name. Well the guy had 3 nice spinning reels all NIB, that Cardinal 52, a Penn 712 and a 420SS. I really wanted the 52 but asked him about the Penns, too. The darn guy was proud of that "Greenie" and wouldn't budge on the 712 @ $25 so I went ahead and bought it. :D I asked him how much for the Cardinal 52 & Penn 420SS and he said $18 each.   ???  I couldn't get the money out fast enough!  :o  I wanted away from there before somebody else saw what he had and offered more.  :o Then we went around the corner and a friend of mine that buys & sells a lot of reels & tackle had a Dam Quick 1001 NIB but the rubber cushion on the bail trip had dried out, disintegrated and the bail wouldn't trip. I asked him how much for it & he said $5.  :o I took it home and made about 10 bumper cushions out of a piece of small vinyl hose, put the extra 9 in the box and it works perfectly!  ;) I'm figuring NIB because none of the 4 reels have any evidence or marks on the feet that they have ever been put on a rod.  :) $500 - $600 worth of reels for $66 in about 30 minutes.  :o It was one GOOD DAY!  ;D , my wife got a big  :-*........and no, I don't feel guilty!  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

mo65

Yep...that's a good day alright! Looks like I'll be drownin' my sorrows for sure now. 8)

Gfish

Ok. Gettin schooled here, thanks for your responses midway. Like I wrote before, took 'bout 5 hrs. For me to rebuild my C-4 the first time, got lost in doin retrys to get the sequence down on this foreign-to-me spinner. Yeah, now I recall that bushing in the drag sys.

Flea markets( called" rummage sales "on the Island, another cool one is insteda sayin garbage it's "rubbish") and yard sales are out for me, they won't have the good stuff. So for now it's E-bay, where you can't hold it in your hands, & there's shipping costs. Tightlines seems to have some good reel access on Oahu/Honolulu.

I do have the older one(2062-EG?) with a metal spool. But, I also got an aluminium aftermarket one for my C-4. So that's not a thing now. Yeah, alla drag pressure 'bout 2/3's the way down the shaft would be best for strength & smoothness.

I have some fun with our Needlefish on the reefs. I have yet to hook one in the mouth- long pointy sharp and solid bone, but once in awhile I get a hook in behind the mouth. They fight like a miniature Sailfish, pure fun on a small to med. spinner, 'till you gotta unhook 'em- they will try and stab you.

Are there any Cardinal's that are designed for saltwater use, like you see with MG's and the DAM Quicks?