bottom of the bucket ABU

Started by basto, December 06, 2017, 08:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Just had to show this little Cardinal.  My wife and I looked in a lot of vintage and second hand shops on our trip round Australia in our caravan recently.
In a shop in a little place in outback Victoria I found the fishing tackle section where all the spin reels were in a bucket.
At the bottom of the bucket was this little ABU.
The reels were all $25.00 each.  All except this one were probably that price when new.
Couldn`t believe my luck.
Basto

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

Doesn't get any better than that, Greg!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Nice find! Those "Green Line" Cardinal 5s are really tough to come by. They were mainly distributed through western Europe & UK affiliations. Lots of green line 3s & 4s out there but not many 5s were manufactured until the next version came out. I've only seen 8 or 10 sell on eBay over the last 12 years. I wouldn't fish it if it were mine since it's so rare, but then I kind of weird about hard to find quality reels.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

Hi Fred and Tommy
One odd thing I found on the foot of this reel was a "made in Japan" sticker. Is that legitimate?
Greg

foakes

Yes, Greg --

Production was transferred to Japan --

Quality was the same as Swedish -- just maybe the nostalgia of being from Sweden was different.

Quality is equal, IMO -- at least on this first run.

Got to remember -- this was before reels were sourced to China or other Asian countries.

Not all Japanese reels are good -- just as all US, or European reels are not good -- but these are top drawer.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Thanks Fred. The other info on the foot is a moulded 84-0
Greg

Shark Hunter

That is a nice one Basto.
I didn't even know there was a Green line #5.
I have a Black C5 NIB that I paid a lot more for.

Life is Good!

basto

You have some nice ABU reels Daron.  I had a Cardinal 54 and a 55 when I was younger, but after reading Mr Hawk`s review of the 57, I don`t think it was a good model series.
cheers
Greg

happyhooker

Nice 'un, Basto, and looks like in pretty good shape.

Frank

basto

Yes Frank, it is in very good condition. I tossed a few lures around with it when I got home, but after what Tommy said, I think I will take the line off it. I have other reels to fish.
Greg

The Fishing Hobby

Wow, what a great find and price too!
Congrats!
I have been fishing the 3 version for the past several months based on recommendations by Tommy. Best reel I've ever owned. Can't really imagine anything any better exists out there other than maybe a Suveran but I can't cough up the money for one of those just to find out!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on December 24, 2017, 02:54:02 AM
Wow, what a great find and price too!
Congrats!
I have been fishing the 3 version for the past several months based on recommendations by Tommy. Best reel I've ever owned. Can't really imagine anything any better exists out there other than maybe a Suveran but I can't cough up the money for one of those just to find out!

Glad you two meshed, Kevin. I love those reels, all 3 sizes, but especially the 3 & 4! I can't imagine a better quality reel in that class for the money.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

The Fishing Hobby

Thanks, you certainly were accurate in your comments about it. I agree with you, it is top notch. I really like the new to me Daiwa 8600 I picked up but it is older and lacks the ability to close the bail manually, silent anti-reverse and the drag is just a notch below the Cardinal as well. For a live or cut bait reel the Daiwa will work out great and I can't wait to use it. I would like to find a smaller one from the same Daiwa series of reels for live bait fishing too. For lures with casting and reeling constantly the Cardinals will work much better and have a higher gear ratio. I now have 2 green line 3's and a C3 and a green line 4 😀
The green line 3's look like they were used a whole lot...I'd even go as far to say they were abused by my standards but after cleaning and lubing they work absolutely perfectly. I'd say that is a pretty good testament to their durability. I think the paint may be the only drawback.on them. It either isn't the most durable paint or it is just an extremely thin coat.