CS 501 - Corrosion

Started by Smols, December 07, 2017, 12:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smols

The internals on this CS 501 reel are in descent condition aside from some significant corrosion on the side plate. It is bad enough that the notch where the shift lever spring wedges into the plate is gone. Does anyone have any ideas on possible solutions? Maybe a glob of JB weld that is filed into a notch once dry to accommodate the spring? Just not sure if that would hold as there is quite a bit of pressure on that spot when the shift lever is moved.

Or, does anyone have a CS 501 side plate you would be willing to part with?

Smols

handi2

How about cutting a new notch?
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Smols

That's a good idea that I did not think of. There appears to be enough material there. Would you cut a new notch on the left side of the lobe (closest to the lever hole) or file the existing notch deeper? 

And would you use a rotary tool or a small file?

Thanks,
Smols

Rancanfish

Small drill bit worked for me.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Smols

Update- So I used a rotary tool with a small grinding bit to cut a shallow notch on the left side of the broken lobe. I then adjusted the spring by increasing the angle where it turns towards the plate in that spot and shortening the length of the spring to reduce the pressure when shifting. It all appears to be working fine for now, time will tell how it holds up. I forgot to take a picture before I put the reel back together.   :-\