alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial CS 501 - Corrosion
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 16, 2017, 04:44:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CS 501 - Corrosion  (Read 274 times)
0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Smols
Member
*
Online Online

Posts: 72


« on: December 06, 2017, 04:38:37 PM »

The internals on this CS 501 reel are in descent condition aside from some significant corrosion on the side plate. It is bad enough that the notch where the shift lever spring wedges into the plate is gone. Does anyone have any ideas on possible solutions? Maybe a glob of JB weld that is filed into a notch once dry to accommodate the spring? Just not sure if that would hold as there is quite a bit of pressure on that spot when the shift lever is moved.

Or, does anyone have a CS 501 side plate you would be willing to part with?



Smols


* IMG_4658.JPG (1544.72 KB, 3264x2448 - viewed 6 times.)
Logged
handi2
Sensei
Member
***
Online Online

Posts: 2586


OCD Reel Service and Repair


« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »

How about cutting a new notch?
Logged

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL
Smols
Member
*
Online Online

Posts: 72


« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:20:00 PM »

That's a good idea that I did not think of. There appears to be enough material there. Would you cut a new notch on the left side of the lobe (closest to the lever hole) or file the existing notch deeper? 

And would you use a rotary tool or a small file?

Thanks,
Smols
Logged
Rancanfish
Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1743


« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »

Small drill bit worked for me.
Logged

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.
Smols
Member
*
Online Online

Posts: 72


« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 06:07:42 AM »

Update- So I used a rotary tool with a small grinding bit to cut a shallow notch on the left side of the broken lobe. I then adjusted the spring by increasing the angle where it turns towards the plate in that spot and shortening the length of the spring to reduce the pressure when shifting. It all appears to be working fine for now, time will tell how it holds up. I forgot to take a picture before I put the reel back together.   Undecided
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.236 seconds with 17 queries.